Sweet Celebrations - Minnesota - Closing For Good?

Decorating By ac2steachk Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm by MnSnow

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 23

Hello all,
A few weeks ago there was a thread talking about the Sweet Celebrations store in Minnetonka was closing and there was a sale.
My sister called from Minneapolis tonight and said my mom had read in the paper recently that ALL the Sweet Celebrations stores are now closing.
The online store on their website is 'closed for maintenance' right now and that is unusual for them.
Does anyone who lives up there have details about this?
I use them as my main supply store. Argh!
Thanks for the info.
-allison

22 replies
kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #2 of 23

I've ordered from their catalog for years. Will that be gone as well?

ac2steachk Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 23

I have no idea. I hope not.
My mom called tonight. She had no new information but said that there was an article in one of the twin cities papers a few weeks ago that said one store had closed and now the others will. My sister is going to Burnsville tomorrow to check it out and ask questions.

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #4 of 23

All locations are now closed and the website is down, most likely for good.

GrannieJ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #5 of 23

I worked at the Burnsville location. All stores are closed and yes, for good. Right after the stores closed a member of our staff was killed and a car accident and his input was key to keeping the website going, so that too will no longer be available.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannieJ

I worked at the Burnsville location. All stores are closed and yes, for good. Right after the stores closed a member of our staff was killed and a car accident and his input was key to keeping the website going, so that too will no longer be available.

So sorry to hear about your staff member. I'll miss store as I've been ordering from them since they were Maid of Scandinavia. My best to all of you.

ac2steachk Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 23

What sad news about your coworker.
Thank you for the update.
-allison

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 23

I'm so sorry to hear this -- they were/are a great company to deal with.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 23

I'm sooooo sorry to hear that, they were an awesome company!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 23

That's strange...My husband and I just went to the one in Maplewood about a month ago, and they were still open!! When did this all happen??

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 23

I wonder if the stencil places are going to close now -- they were subsidiaries of Sweet Celebrations.

GrannieJ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 23

This all just happened last week. We suspected the company was struggling and about to close. When they announced the closing, it was sad for all of us. Then to top it all off, the car accident that killed our co worker...that just seemed to break us all.

Thank you for you thoughts and prayers!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 23

Oh, I'm so sorry!!! I was wondering why they didn't have very full shelves.... icon_sad.gif

ac2steachk Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:54am
post #14 of 23

My sister went to the warehouse in Edina today and talked with me as she walked through it (I live in Louisville). She ended up with a cart full of 50% off things and said I could have gotten lots more if I had time to go up there. Those of you who live nearby may want to check it out.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 23

I wonder if they will still take phone orders ? Or if they are letting people shop the warehouse maybe they are taking no orders

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:23am
post #16 of 23

I was just on the website, it didn't say anything about closing.

ac2steachk Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #17 of 23

The website doesn't say anything about closing because one of the key players in the site died in a car accident. I imagine that the 'regular' employees may not know how to update the site so that is not of most importance right now.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 23

But They just can't leave us, they have all the great cookie cutters I still have to get.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:25am
post #19 of 23

This is such a sad day. Wow. My co-worker went to get some stuff for a show we are doing this week and told me they had closed. Wow, I know the Minnetonka store had closed, but didnt know all of them had shut down.

My prayers are with everyone in that business, and my thanks to every employee who helped teach me new things. I better start being prepared for stuff as I'm usually running there at the last minute for things.

Anyone know where to get good flavorings, cake pans, etc. in the Twin Cities? Hi-Ratio Shortening? Cookie Cutters? Oh and Wedding Boquet flavors? Or are we all heading for online shopping?

ac2steachk Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:08am
post #20 of 23

I right with you, lchristi27,
I'm planning to move back to the Mpls area next summer and have been wondering about other places to shop. Online searches haven't been very successful. I'll be happy to hear of a good store in the metro area or even Western Wisconsin.
-allison

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 23

I have a question, now that SweetC is gone, does anyone know who some of their suppliers were? I'm looking at an old 2007 general catalog and on page 27 they have some great Christmas ornament copper cookie cutters that I haven't seen anyplace else and would very much like to get. Also on page 73 they have an awesome stainless steel fretwork (or lace) cutter set that I've never seen before. Does anyone know who makes these items?

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 6:58pm
post #22 of 23

I found what I'm describing on their online catalog:

The copper ornament cookie cutters are here: http://www.sweetc.com/Cat/Set2/027.pdf

and the stainless steel lace cutters are here: http://www.sweetc.com/Cat/Set7/073.pdf

So the question is, who manufactures these items and now that SweetC is gone where can I buy them? Can anyone help?

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #23 of 23

Another awesome supply store in teh Minneapolis area is Lynn's Cake and Candy Supplies. Her address is 8195 University Ave NE in Fridley. Her phone # is 763-784-2186.

She carries hi ratio shortening, cookie cutters, chocolates, boxes, Rich's bettercream and anything you could possibly think of!

She had to discontinue her website due to health issues, but if you call her she really goes out of her way for you! A totally awesome sweet lady!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%