Have You Ever Gotten This Phone Call?

Decorating By heychele Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 12:13am by sarahpierce

heychele Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 21

I had to write this after a phone call I got tonight!
Can anyone relate?


A friend of a friends grandmas first cousin needs a cake
It's either for 3 people or 400 how much time will that take?
Oh she's allergic to butter and shortening makes her sick
she can't have eggs the poor thing breaks out in hives with one lick
By the way she doesn't have the money
can she pay you next week?
That won't put you out will it, I know your cake business is at it's peak
She wants 5 tiers with an ever so slight tilt to the right
Oh yes and if it's okay we'll just stop by and pick it up tonight!

20 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 21

Sure I think we all have gotten somethin g like thaticon_smile.gif People just do NOT undertstand the work involved. Yep, they want a 5 tiered cake to serve 3-5 people!!!! HEHehe )

indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 21

Sounds like a "do you have prince albert in a can?" kind of call. icon_confused.gif

DebBTX Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #4 of 21

Did you start laughing a little, or were you able to calmly reply?
What, pray tell, did you say to them? icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

PattyT Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Sounds like a "do you have prince albert in a can?" kind of call. icon_confused.gif




Since I just had a birthday...and can now look into living in an "active adult community"...do the young un's get this? I know I absolutel DO.

thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:02am
post #6 of 21

right.........or...........is your refrigerator running??? people are crazy!!

heychele Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:06am
post #7 of 21

Lol, unfortunately all but the 5 tiers were in the phone call from a person I do cakes for all the time. I just wish people knew the time that it takes and that I just don't have them at my fingertips like the grocery store!
Oh well tis cake decorating!

GenGen Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:12am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by heychele

I had to write this after a phone call I got tonight!
Can anyone relate?


A friend of a friends grandmas first cousin needs a cake
It's either for 3 people or 400 how much time will that take?
Oh she's allergic to butter and shortening makes her sick
she can't have eggs the poor thing breaks out in hives with one lick
By the way she doesn't have the money
can she pay you next week?
That won't put you out will it, I know your cake business is at it's peak
She wants 5 tiers with an ever so slight tilt to the right
Oh yes and if it's okay we'll just stop by and pick it up tonight!




........so... what exactly does she want??

when i first read that i was like... "huh?"

CakeMakar Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #9 of 21

it rhymes! icon_biggrin.gif Hilarious!

Ariginal Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

it rhymes! icon_biggrin.gif Hilarious!




Hehe it does too didnt click till you pointed it out so i had to go read it again and in poem type way of saying it out loud lol...

and ohh no i havent had a call like that YET....

Tona Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #11 of 21

Yes i have got this call before. I just lisen then let them know If and when I can do this and what they can expect. They just do not understand what is involved with Cake decorating.

jammjenks Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:18am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Sounds like a "do you have prince albert in a can?" kind of call. icon_confused.gif



Since I just had a birthday...and can now look into living in an "active adult community"...do the young un's get this? I know I absolutel DO.

thumbs_up.gif




I got it. BTW- how about olive oil in a bottle?

Carolynlovescake Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #13 of 21

cute poem and yes I have gotten them.

My reply:

I can do your cake
Because all I ever is is bake
Servings really to count
Because I hate to run out
My allergy free cakes are a hit
Especially after just one lick
I'm sorry she can't pay
But free cakes.. no way
And to pick it up tonight
I guess that would be alright

laynie72 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:17am
post #14 of 21

What was your answer icon_confused.gif I would love to know icon_smile.gif

margaretb Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:51am
post #15 of 21

I don't get the prince albert in a can. Help me?

veejaytx Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 8:03am
post #16 of 21

There used to be (probably still is, but I'm not sure) tobacco in a can (for rolling your own cigarettes or for pipe smoking) and the name of it was Prince Albert...hence Prince Albert in a can.

You are supposed to laugh like it is really funny!

I hadn't heard the Olive Oyl in a bottle, same thing, just laugh!

DebraDough Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 8:15am
post #17 of 21

I've had about four calls just this week from people saying..."I have a friend here who wants you to teach them how to make those really pretty flowers you make. Oh and she really wants to learn how to do that fondant stuff you do too. Here let me let you talk to her and ya'll can work out the details." No joke I got my fourth call yesterday. You guys don't even want to know what I told them. These are not my friends calling. Just people who have seen my work that I barely even know. People simply never cease to amaze me. Blessings to all, Debra

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:18am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

I don't get the prince albert in a can. Help me?




It was a classic crank call in the 50's:

caller: Do you have Prince Albert in a can?
Drugstore Clerk: Yes we do.
Caller: Then you better let him out!

Debra: I had a lady stop in the shop a couple of weeks ago and wanted to know if I wanted any free help ... she'd always wanted to know how to decorate cakes. I told her I wasn't the kind of shop that had a lot of cakes to do during the week. She said that worked out great because she worked Monday thru Friday. I smiled and said, "Oh, you're not one of those people who think we bake all of those wedding cakes on Saturday morning are you? Those cakes are LONG done by Saturday!"

I then suggested she contact Michaels for classes. God luv her.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:48am
post #19 of 21

I used to work in a bowling alley, where people would call and ask to speak to Frank Footer, or Wanda Dance. Fortunately, my brother was one of those people who used to do it to others, and he warned me about it. icon_lol.gif


Theresa icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:47pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

There used to be (probably still is, but I'm not sure) tobacco in a can (for rolling your own cigarettes or for pipe smoking) and the name of it was Prince Albert...hence Prince Albert in a can.

You are supposed to laugh like it is really funny!

I hadn't heard the Olive Oyl in a bottle, same thing, just laugh!




and I always thought the Prince Albert was like tuna fish or something lol

sarahpierce Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:13am
post #21 of 21

Prince Albert is also a naughty man piercing. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%