Question About The Ball Pan...doesn't The Cake Collapse?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 2:51am by AmyGonzalez

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make a cake with the ball pan for my niece. How does it stay up though? I would imagine the weight from the middle and top would make the sides slide off. Does it work better than I imagine?

3 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

I've used the ball cake pan quite a lot. I am not sure what you mean about it sliding. It works best if you use a pound cake or heavier type of cake mix but I've used it with regular cake mix with no problem. It is not a very large ball and seems to hold up under the weight of icing with no problem.

I've never had any problems with cracking or sliding although it does require support if placed on top of another cake. I made a soccer ball once that smashed the cake underneath it. Since then, I use a support system with it if I put it on another cake.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #3 of 4

Thank you!

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 4

I've used the ball pan and have never had problems with it. When I am ready to put the cake on the cake board I level a small piece of the bottom so that it sits more secure. Also very important to cool the cake completely before sandwiching it together. When cutting I cut pie slices once the cake is half cut I lay the remainder down and finish cutting like that. Here are a couple I've done. HTH

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1227525

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272928

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%