Stacking Tiered Cakes

Decorating By ericapeterson Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm by leah_s

ericapeterson Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 8

I have a friend that I help with cakes and everytime we have delivered a cake, it has fell apart. The first cake was a 3-tier that fell apart before we got to the location. We stacked it before we got there and fell apart. The second cake we did not stack, it was 5 tiers. it was a 12, 10, 8 stacked and a 10' on each side with the stairs on them. when we left, it was fine, we received a call stating that it fell apart and the bride had not even made it there yet. we set it up at 3 and the wedding was not until 4 so they did not get there until about 6. what did we do wrong? PLEASE HELP US!

7 replies
JenniferMI Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 8

What do you mean "it fell apart"? Did it fall over? Did the icing come off?
Did the cake crack into pcs?

Please be more specific. We'll try to help you! When most people have issues, they have not supported their cakes well enough.

Jen icon_smile.gif

newnancy Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 8

Did you dowel the cake or use some kind of support system?

dawncr Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 8

Send your friend here to CC, and have her check out the "Disasters" forum. There's lots of advice about what might cause stacked cakes to fall apart.

She might want to take a look at her cake recipe, the manner in which she's doweling, and a whole host of other factors. My suggestion: Use the SPS system. There's a sticky on this forum (I think it's this one) by LeahS explaining it. Many here are converts.

ericapeterson Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 8

she is using the plastic rods that are wider in the cake. the first cake had filling but the second cake did not. we just cannot understand why it is falling apart. the first cake, the bottom cake, litterally started falling appart around the wooden rods and the second cake we are not sure "how" it fell apart being we were not there. is there a certain time frame when a cake should be contructed before the event?

newnancy Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 8

I don't have your answers but I'll give you a bump & maybe somebody can help. Good luck.

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericapeterson

she is using the plastic rods that are wider in the cake. the first cake had filling but the second cake did not. we just cannot understand why it is falling apart. the first cake, the bottom cake, litterally started falling appart around the wooden rods and the second cake we are not sure "how" it fell apart being we were not there. is there a certain time frame when a cake should be contructed before the event?

I'm confused. She's is using wooden dowel rods AND some kind of plastic dowel?

Can you link a photo of the type of plastic dowel? I can't envision one that is wider at the bottom than at the top. If it's, for example, 1.5" at the bottom and that is being pushed into the cake, but the top is only 3/4", then you're going to have space around the dowel ... giving it wobble room and making it unstable.

No filling in the second cake ... is it a 2-layer cake? If so, and there is no filling, how are you holding the 2 layers together?

leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 8

We really need specifics. Are you using push-in pillars? They are wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. IndyDeb may be the only person who uses these with success. To me they look horribly unstable.

I stack and finish all my cakes the night before the event, so they sit fine on my counter then in the back of the truck for hours and hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%