Black Gumpaste And Fondant?

Decorating By photofire Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm by DianeLM

photofire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
photofire Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 5

What is the best way to color gumpaste and fondant black? I am thinking Airbrush? I want the color to be rick and dark, but I am worried that the gumpaste will not dry after adding so much gel paste food color. Any suggestions? I have this wedding cake due at the end of the month, Thanks!

4 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

First, WELCOME to CC!

What are you needing to color? The base fondant of a cake black? Tell us details please, then we'll try to help icon_smile.gif If I were making black flowers, for example, I would color the gp black then dust them black.

Jen icon_smile.gif

photofire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
photofire Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 5

I am coloring some gum paste circles and a few fondant pieces to decorate a white wedding cake with. The gumpaste does need to be very rigin so it can be used for a few 3-d details on the cake.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 5

As far as the fondant pieces, I would recommend buying black Satin Ice. It's a very dark, black color.

The gumpaste pcs.... hmmmmm.... I think I would make them, then airbrush or dust if not dark enough. I have worked with very black gumpaste, but it does tend to get a little sticky. You could always color it with black powdered color.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 5

The trucks on this skateboard were made with white gumpaste. Once dry, I painted with black powdered coloring mixed with confectioners glaze.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1179533

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%