How Much Would You Charge For A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm by JenniferMI

kathy777 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 5

i am doing a wedding cake for someone who would like a round about price its for 50-60 people. i do understand that if she wants like hand made flowers its more but what would i start the pricing at for just a regular wedding cake? thanks for all who respond! Kathy

4 replies
mcdonald Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 5

It does depend on what you are going to do for the cake. Simple cake with buttercream would be less than one with a filling, or one covered in fondant. You want to price it per serving usually. I do a basic buttercream cream cake with buttercream filling for around $2.oo a slice. Fillings I charge $15.00 extra, depending on the filling. Then if it is fondant, I would start around $2.50 a slice. I also know the price depends on expertise. I know people charge more but I don't feel as confident as they are. I also might charge a little less if I think I will get good "advertising" from it.... Also depends on your area.... I might call around in your area and price them, then couple that with how comfortable you feel and make it worth your time.

indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 5

Kathy, welcome to CC! You'll quickly find it's a great source of info!

Pricing is one of those frequently discussed and sometimes "hot" topics. Lots of variables. Where you buy your ingredients is a factor (retail at walmart, quasi-wholesale at sam's, wholesale in bulk thru a distributor), your location is a factor (New York prices are WAY different that Indiana prices!), what kind of competition do you have and what kind of pricing will the market in your are bear?

There's a "sticky' on here somewhere .... it's a matrix where you can plug in your costs and it helps you figure what you should charge for your cake. I dont' have the link since I never use it, but hopefully another CC'er will be able to help you find that.

When I started catering, I started checking out all the websites I could to get an idea of menus and pricing. Sometimes that's hard when folks are cautious about putting prices on their website, but if you want to start somewhere, my pricing is front and center on my site and you're welcome to check it out.

FromScratch Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 5

I'm with Debi.. it's a hard thing to tell someone. Loads of variables. The best thing you can do is to sit down and figure out what it will cost you to make this cake. A cake for 50-60 won't be that big, but you still need to figure out what it costs you to make your cakes before you can even think about pricing them. It costs me about $1.30 per serving just to make a cake. Make sure you factor it all in.. gas and time for shopping, time for baking and decorating, time for cleaning, money for supplies including ingredients and cake boards and dowels and boxes. A cake is SO much more than just it's raw ingredients. They are paying you to make the cake they can't or don't want to make. This is a service you must be compensated for.

My prices are simple.. I have a flat rate much like Debi does. All of my cakes start at $5/serving. This includes any fillings and fondant. Gumpaste work and carved cakes are priced on an individual basis but carved cakes atart at $250.00 and regular cakes start at $100.00. It's not worth it to turn my oven on for less than that.

I urge you to not price yourself under $2/serving. Anything under that would be giving your work away.. even at $2/serving you aren't making much.

JenniferMI Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, lots of factors here, but I do think it's always a good idea to price your area. See what the locals get per serving. Of course, your work has a great deal to do with what kind of prices you can charge, too.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%