To Soft Fondant To Make Flowers

Decorating By dreamidaho1 Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 5:32am by sugabear

dreamidaho1 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:53am
post #1 of 2

HELP!!! I am a beginner at cake decorating and I need some help with a situation I have.

I need to make black and red roses for my cake design but by the time I got adding all the coloring in the fondant was to soft and stuck to my flower making tools. I can't get it to ruffle the edges even with my dusting bag. All it wants to do was stick to my tools. If I finally get something that kind of resembles a ruffle effect the petals are still to limp to work with.

Do I add more powdered sugar or cornstarch to stiffened it back up. If I add one of these products is it going to lighten the color. I need real dark and rich colors not pastel looking colors so if anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate any and all help. I have to have this cake done in 3 weeks. It is a good thing I started early on the flowers instead of waiting until the last minute.

1 reply
sugabear Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #2 of 2

Hi there,
I typically use gumpaste to make my roses instead of fondant, it tends to hold it's shape better...just a thought. Also, adding powdered Tylose to your fondant will give you firmness without lightening your color. But add it slowly, you don't really need that much. Add too much and it'll be hard to work with. I would add a little, let it rest for a litte while and check and see where the consistancy is at. If you get it to the right consistancy from the get go by the time it sets it will be too stiff, so keep that in mind. Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%