Amazing Cake Vertical Stripes

Decorating By laynie72 Updated 5 Nov 2013 , 7:00pm by klan30

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:11am
post #1 of 56

This is a cake from "Baking Arts" ( a cooking school in San Francisco CA) it is white modeling chocolate wrapped cake with horizontal stripes.

Do you guys have any idea on how to do this?
Thanks!
LL

55 replies
laynie72 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #2 of 56

can you guys see the picture?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 56

First, these are horizontal stripes, not vertical. icon_biggrin.gif

This has been discussed many times. The creator of this technique has been smart enough to keep it to himself. Our loss!

laynie72 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #4 of 56

Thank you I changed it...

I was hopping someone here will know.
icon_sad.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 56

what about those transfer sheets? I'm trying to remember where I saw them. I know country kitchens has them but they're not horizontal. maybe you can find them elsewhere? I don't if CC will let me post this link. If not, just search for county kitchen sweet art on yahoo and the page will come up. they have a picture on the home page.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=624&SubCatId=1719

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #6 of 56

Can't see the pic. icon_sad.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:48am
post #7 of 56

I guess the stripes could be painted on. I just read a post about mixing powdered color with melted cocoa butter. It said after mixing it, you could paint on chocolate with it. I think it might work. You'd just have to make sure your lines were really straight. Just taking a guess... It is a very fun looking cake to try and copy.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #8 of 56

It's a nice cake regardless of whether it is horizontal or vertical icon_biggrin.gif
You could probably experiment with fondant stripes. The only problem with that is you're going to have to make certain your markings are perfect as I would imagine if the lines are not perfectly straight it is going to be the only thing noticed on the cake.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:58am
post #9 of 56

I couldn't get the link. but here is one. is this what you are talking about?

http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/cakepopup/satinstripesweddingcake.jpg

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #10 of 56

Wouldn't you do it the same way you would with fondant or polymer clay? By adhering it to a base color then running it through a sheeter/pasta roller?

Chocolate clay works like polymer clay...pretty much attaches to itself.

Anytime I want to mess with it, I refer to Sculpey.com for many MANY ideas....awesome site should you decide to get into sculpting chocolate/candy clay!

laynie72 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:00am
post #11 of 56
BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #12 of 56

I used to make chocolate bows which were striped, white chocolate and regular chocolate. We used a plastic strip and painted it with the regular chocolate and let it set until thick but not hard, then took a special comb and ran it the length of the strip, removing the chocolate in strips. We then let it set up completely. Once the chocolate was hard, we covered it with a layer of the white chocolate, letting it fill in the removed strips. Once that had set up some, we applied it to the cake and removed the plastic strip. The result was a chocolate strip with white chocolate stripes. I am sure you could do it that way using different colors of the white chocolate. The finished strip is completely flat that way and looks great.

all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #13 of 56
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #14 of 56

These ideas may be a stretch but could you-

A- achieve that look from the edible printer? Print on the sheet and wrap around the cake?

or

B- do the fondant transfer technique and wrap that around the cake?

My only other thought is that they have some special printer, like the one that prints directly on the cookie. Maybe that is how they get it so precise?

Dunno, just some thoughts from my sleep deprived brain... icon_rolleyes.gif

ETA: doesn't someone make stencils like that? They say it is white chocolate maybe a stencil with colored chocolate or cocoa butter?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #15 of 56

It looks like a chocolate wrap to me.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:15am
post #16 of 56

I have a wedding cake magazine with a cake featured in it that looks a lot like that one. It was done by a place also in San Francisco called Cakework. I always wondered how it was done but never have had the time to play with it. It looks to me like it is candy clay or something similar because it has roses made out of it to. The colors are only on one side of it. In the picture you can see the backside of the wrap and it is white. I am wondering if she has someway to print the patterns onto the clay, similar to the way they print on the fondant paper wraps (like what Lucks has.) At first I thought it was like individual strips cut and then rolled together (like a wilton technique I saw once) but after I looked at it awhile I realized the color was only on the front. It could be the cocoa butter colors like someone else suggested but I really don't know how they get them so straight. If you are really interested I can try to scan in the picture. I doubt I have helped but it would be great to know how to do it.

all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #17 of 56

My bad! It wasn't he that said it...the OP stated it was modeling chocolate.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #18 of 56

I agree, just looking, first impression waas colored white chocolate painted on white chocolate wrap. The edges you can tell the colors are a tiny bit raised and not exactly perfect like a printer. Thats my guess. icon_cool.gif

laynie72 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:21am
post #19 of 56

Hi Jeanne! I thought it was a chocolate wrap to me but in their picture they describe it as chocolate clay.
Here is an other view of the top part of the cake and also a different cake with the same technique but different design.
LL
LL

all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:22am
post #20 of 56

They definitely use a printer on at least some of their stuff...

http://cakework.com/unwedding.html

newspaper cake is awesome!

SueBuddy Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:23am
post #21 of 56

I have a wedding cake magazine with a cake featured in it that looks a lot like that one. It was done by a place also in San Francisco called Cakework. It looks to me like it is candy clay or something similar because it has roses made out of it to. The colors are only on one side of it. In the picture you can see the backside of the wrap and it is white. I would think that it is either printed onto the clay (like the printed edible fondant image wraps that Lucks sells) It it is done like someone else suggested that the colored strips are stuck to a white strip and then sent through a sheeter. But I think it would be hard to get the lines perfectly straight. If you are really interested or you think it would help I can try to scan the picture and post it here or email it to you.

all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:24am
post #22 of 56

laynie72, you can get that effect with the clay(plain on back, design on front, by using the sheeter method described in an earlier post.

SueBuddy Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #23 of 56

Sorry I didn't mean for my reply to post twice. Oops!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #24 of 56

It says in the flickr photostream under the photos that it's done with modeling chocolate. I am betting they roll out the white and then lay stripes of colors on top of it and run it through a pasta roller or a sheeter.

It also hinted at a possible tutorial when all the kinks are worked out.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #25 of 56

however its done its amazing!! so beautiful icon_smile.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #26 of 56

I've seen a tutorial on this somewhere. It is different colors of candy clay on a white clay backing. I will keep looking and post if someone doesn't beat me to it.

laynie72 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #27 of 56

adobewife I hope you find the tutorial.

I will search and look more into this and see if I can even contact them and ask, I read in their website that they teach private clases... it may be an exuse to visit San Fransisco icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #28 of 56

I saw a video on a technique like this at my library. I'll try to find the name of the series. They did one just like Laynie posted, too.

all4cake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:24am
post #29 of 56

Just a couple more links for inspiration...

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayArticle?articleNum=as0135

Look closely at the flower sitting on top of the jar...

http://www.amaco.com/prod-clay-techniques-with-a-pasta-machine-547.html

I just seen that flower on a cake...now I can't find it! aaaaaaaaargh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%