First Complaint

Business By Karema Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm by Janette

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 13

Ok so I had an order for a red velvet cake, a pound cake and mexican wedding cakes. The order was last minute and I took it anyway. I was baking for selling at the flea market and my husband called and said can he place an order for a customer and when can I have it ready. I thought he mean that day so I said later like at 7pm. He said really ok. They came and got the cake I showed them how they looked they said it looked fine and it smelled good. Last night my husband told me that he spoke to the lady's friend and she said that she wasnt that impressed with my cakes. She said the red velvet was really dry. I feel horrible. She never contacted me but I still feel like I should say something. I emailed her asking her if she had a problem with her order. I'm waiting to hear back. What should I do since she never called me and said anything. Should I make her a new cake or just offer her a discount on another order or both? Thanks

12 replies
Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 13

First I wouldn't have nothing. This is only hear-say. Her friend could be a busy-body for all you know. If the customer had a problem she should have contacted you.

But, since you made the first move I would give her a discount on her next cake. Let her know that you've never had a complaint before and you don't know what could have gone wrong. Suggest one of your best flavored cake for her next try.

Good Luck

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #3 of 13

I agree. With the exception of this... You already contacted her. Wait until she actually complains to you, then offer her a discount on the next cake. Make some excuse like you were trying a new recipe and you are so sorry, can you make it up to her with a discount on the next one that you KNOW will knock her socks off.
HTH

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 13

I am so sorry.... I hate to feel like that, the same happen to me with a red velvet cake, I need to find a good recipe...

Did you try the cake? If it was me I would offer a discount just because it will make me feel better.

I say do what you feel is right in your hart so you feel better.

Karema Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:30am
post #5 of 13

Actually I did try the red velvet in cupcake form and it was good. I think next time I wont cook it as long. I will also let it cool a little then wrap in saran wrap. I dont know if she liked the flavor I will find out. It wasnt very chocolatey because I only used one tsp of cocoa. It was my aunts recipe and she has been baking for about 50 years. I loved it. I dont know what happened. I made the pound cake and the first one was a disaster. The person wanted a butter pound cake and I've only made cream cheese and sour cream. I tried just leaving out the sour cream and when I baked it the whole thing just sunk. It was a disaster. It didnt cook right and I dont know what happened. Then I remade it and just added sourcream because I couldnt just make it again. I will see what happens now. What is so funny about this is that the person just sent me an email and it was a fwd. So I know she has my email info. Weird?

Karema Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 13

Ok so I finally ran into the customer at church and she was really nice about it. She explained that the red velvet was very try and hard. The pound cake wasnt that great either. I offered to make the order over with no charge and she said dont worry about it. She said if she went into a restaruant and brought a cake and it wasnt good she would just have to toss it. I felt horrible. I had to do another event last weekend and was selling baked goods and she came up and brought one of everything I had. It was a total of $32.50. I told her dont worry about it because I owed her a cake. She refused and handed me $40. I am so grateful that I have a customer that is understanding but I still feel bad. I'm thinking of trying to find out when her birthday is and make her a cake. She cant refuse that right?

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 13

I think you're going overboard. Now you're making her feel bad. She obviously did not find it a big enough problem to come to directly and complain, then she said not to worry about it and paid for the baking she did purchase. I think if you bake her something for her birthday you are taking it way to far and could end up annoying her. It was would annoy me and make me uncomfortable. You know she is a nice person, seems to not have bad mouthed you. Let it go.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 13

Whoa. THAT's being really nice about it? That it tasted terrible and she would have thrown it away? No, that lady was not nice. Just because something is said with a smile and a "Bless your heart" at the end does NOT equivicate nice!

If this is a time tested recipe, and most people love it, then realize that people just have different palates, and different tastes. It really could have just been her personal taste, or that she is a picky person. My mom is like that-every time she goes to a restaurant, it is never as good as it was in the past.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 13

Sorry you problems with your red velvet cake. Sarah's red velvet recipe on this site is very good and moist if you are wanting to try a different one.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 13

i don't understand....if she was so dissatisfied ....why did she buy more stuff from ya?

it doesn't make sense.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 13

I agree with crazycakes
drop it, let it go, she obviously has and she obviously likes your baking or she wouldnt have bought more.

please don't bake her a cake for her birthday unasked, it would make me uncomfortable too

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 13

I agree with crazycakes and auryn. I think you're going way overboard and it would definitely annoy me too if I had said don't worry about it to someone but they still kept trying to make it up to me. If that someone showed up at my house with a birthday cake, I'd probably not order from them again just because it would make me that uncomfortable. Let it go. She's not making a big deal about it, so you shouldn't either. Besides, do you want people to hear that all they have to do is say they weren't impressed with your cakes and you will shower them with freebies? I wouldn't. icon_smile.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 13

I'm glad you updated us. What a nice story. It reminds me that I need not jump to conclusions. Her friend was a trouble maker.

I see what she was saying about the resturant. If I ordered a dessert and it wasn't what I expected it wouldn't stop me from going there again. I would just order something different next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%