Is This Just Me And My Pet Peeve?

Decorating By klangl Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 2:54pm by janine1972

klangl Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 20

I have been to several showers, parties and other places where cake has been placed and decorated on just plain white card board, or on someones everyday cutting board no grease proof paper or freezer paper covering of any type on the board, that just grosses me out. I cover all my cake boards no matter what. I would not even dream of placing a cake on my cutting board, even though its been through the dishwasher.
I even had someone ask me how come my cakes don't leave that big greasy stain like everyone elses. My reply was COVER, COVER, COVER.
And maybe next time they will ask me too make the cake!!!
does this bother anyone else too?

19 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 20

Ooooohhhhh I soooooooooo agree w/you! icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 20

Hmmm...this cake seems to have an oniony flavour...wonder why?

TooMuchCake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 20

I hear ya. The most gorgeous, delicious-looking cake in the world will look nasty on a grease-soaked naked cardboard. I admit I've never seen one on a cutting board, though!

Boofycakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 20

agreed. ew

fiddlesticks Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 20

I agree for sure ! You have a beautiful cake then a big grease ring around the edge !

adunfag Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 20

Apparently some people don't realize that it's the overall presentation that matters. No matter how beautiful the cake is, the unwrapped, messy board just detracts from it and that's all you focus on. EEEWWWW!

indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #8 of 20

Admit it guys ... we're all more in tune to that kind of stuff. Most, or at least "many" people have no clue.

One of my peeves is when someone tries to make something "fancy"..... they actually use the word "fancy". I HATE the word "fancy". Because when someone tries to make something "fancy", it usually looks so makeshift horrible.

Like the wedding where the family did the food themselves.... and they placed the big blue roaster pan of baked beans on the same table with the beautiful wedding cake. One family member said to the cake maker, "They really did this wedding up pretty fancy, didn't they?" icon_eek.gif

To them ... it's looked (click tongue like cousin Eddie on "Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation") 'Real nice, Clark!"

god bless their little hearts! icon_redface.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:34am
post #9 of 20

OMG ! indy I busted out laughing !
To them ... it's looked (click tongue like cousin Eddie on "Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation") 'Real nice, Clark!"
Thats one of my favorite sayings!

PinkZiab Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:45am
post #10 of 20

I don't know why they call this hamburger helper... does fine all by itself

Boofycakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 20

HAHAHA! Indy icon_smile.gif I Couldn't agree with you more!

janine1972 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 20

LOL< I agree!! I hate that.
My problem is that since I now do cakes, people try to help me with bringing me back their used, marked, greased and scared cake boards so i can re use them!!! lol, I say thank you and explaine that i use new cake boards for all cakes - they are very persistant though, so when they leave, so do the used cake boards - out to file 13 (dustbin!)

I buy cake boards for each and every cake I make.
Except my cakes at home, they go onto glass cake plates or i buy boards!!

To some people it is just normal!! yikes!!! lol

chutzpah Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 20

What in the world did they possibly do to scare those cake boards so bad?

Another pet peeve is backgrounds. You see these gorgeous cakes and all sorts of crap is also floating around in the pic... a pile of piping bags and icing bowls and dirty dishes and what not. It doesn't do the cake justice.

It's not hard to take a decent picture, folks.

Get a length of fabric (I use a white stretchy crushed velvet...... no ironing. If your material has creases... then by G-D iron it..... cake pics look like crap with creased fabric in the background!!!!). Hang it up over something (chair back or whatever you have), place the cake in front and take a pic. Et voilá! (NOT walla....... lol)

janine1972 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 20

lol, the scared/marked cake boards are from them "sawing" the cake into slices - lol

chutzpah Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 20

LOL.... you must mean 'scarred' icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 20

janine, I know just what you mean! icon_lol.gif They just don't get that in the overall cost of the cake, 79 cents for a cardboard is just no big deal! I've had people suggest I take the photocopy boxes and cut those out ..... uh ... no! I'll use the ones designed for FOOD! ... plus I'm just not inclined to spend that kind of time and energy cutting cardboard circles. I've even had them ask me if they should save their pizza cardboards for me. icon_eek.gif

At samplings, people will hand me their leftover water bottle ... and I tell them, "No, you can take that with you .... I dont' recycle or re-use those." icon_eek.gif

At caterings, little old ladies will skewer a strawberry, dip the berry, then want to hand me the skewer back or they try to put it back in with the clean skewers so it can be reused. icon_eek.gif "No thanks, we can't re-use those."

janine1972 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 20

lol, yep - sorry im having a blonde day!!

chutzpah Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 20

It happens to most people every now and again!

3GCakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #19 of 20

Ok....I'm one of the people you guys are talking about!!! Help me!!!

Most cakes I make I give away....and I make them on a dime. I cannot STAND buying those expensive cake boards! And the fancy's 8 bucks a roll! UGHH!!

I found a box store that sells cake circles coated with grease-proof stuff, but it's only the 10 inch circles. The rest I cover with (get your pitchforks ready) plain aluminum foil! Or even white freezer paper!

Can we still be friends?

By the way, Pinkziab, the hamburger helper line is classic. I love that movie. Airplane! is a good one too. "Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue".

janine1972 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:54pm
post #20 of 20

Indydebi - lol, i agree, some people just dont get not re usable, or sterile or clean - lol but that is what we are here for, lol we can educate them on that!! Maybe im just a hygiene nut when it comes to my stuff - lol
But better safe than sorry!! here we pay for a 8" about R5 - R6-00 but we work it into the cake prices!! lol

cake mom 777 - I think there is a difference when youre giving your cakes away!! and tin foil is after all a protective covering, its not gonna show grease rings and stuff, and then i see no problem in that!! but if im selling cakes or as a gift, i still preffer the cake boards bought - lol i guess im fussy - lol
but sure, we can still be friends!!! lol i dont think your way is so bad!!! its those that re use the same board all the time, never re-cover them etc - lol thats just gross!!! lol but foil can make a nice cover - i dont know about the freezer paper, we dont have that here - lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%