Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm by jannp

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 18

I just made my first batch of SMBC, following Dyannbakes' video. The icing came out perfect--smooth, glossy, light and fluffy. No grit, no chunks.
And I hate the taste. And I'm pretty sure it smells like eggs. I used unsalted butter, as instructed. It tastes like flavored whipping cream to me. In an attempt to salvage it, I added some cooled melted chocolate. That helped somewhat, but now it tastes like chocolate whipped cream. I'm so disappointed because so many of you recommended it so highly.
I'm going back to Whimsical Bakehouse's House Buttercream. I can eat bowls full of that stuff, which probably isn't a good thing.

17 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 18

If you are happy with the WB BC why switch?

Mike

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 18

Yep, it is supposed to taste a lot like whipped cream. Not too sweet at all.

cutthecake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 18

So many people were so enthusistic about it that I thought I was missing out on something. I tried it, and now I'm going back to buttercream!
Thanks for answering me.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 18

So sorry it didn't suit your tastes icon_sad.gif. Everyone is different of course! Myself, I love the stuff for the very reasons you dislike it icon_rolleyes.gif. At least now you know! I hope you can find a way to use it, i.e. on a cake for someone else who might like it, so you don't have to feel like you wasted the ingredients. It freezes well, for several months.

cutthecake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 18

I already put it on a cake for home...tomorrow's dessert. It won't KILL me to eat it. I'm glad I made it, though..... I had to see for myself.
Thanks for answering.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 18

Sorry you didn't like the SMBC - I didn't like the first recipe I made (way too buttery) but I've recently used the recipe in the Martha Stewart wedding cakes book and I like it a lot and will be using it again for sure. It's not too sweet, not too buttery. I like it because it's a grown-up icing as opposed to powdered sugar icing that I like better for things like birthday cakes.

Julie

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:05am
post #8 of 18

thats so funny i just made smbc for the first time too just now and i feel exactly the same- made it just to see what the big fuss was about but i prefer regular buttercream. its too light and fluffy for me but i will let some of my customers try it and see if they like it.

cutthecake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #9 of 18

Does anyone else think SMBC smells like hard-boiled eggs?

I'll have to try the Martha Stewart recipe one of these days, after I get over my fear of SMBC.

anitadoskas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitadoskas Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #10 of 18

Would anybody be willing to post martha's recipe. I too tried dyannbakes recipe and didn't care for it. I ended up adding more ps and turning it into a buttercream. I really wanted it to taste like a 7 minute frosting but to hold up better.

thanks

anita

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:22am
post #11 of 18

I too tried SMBC (Well Dressed Cake's recipe) for the first time last night. I really liked the taste and texture....and it came together wonderfully.

I was very excited for my DH to try it so I spooned out a big bite for him and told him to try "my new bc recipe", he put it in his mouth and started pushing it around with his tongue. I could tell he didn't like it. He said he didn't like the texture and that it tasted like "Sundae whipped cream". icon_confused.gif
Than he told me that he hoped I was just experimenting and not changing my original BC recipe for good. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh well, I used it for a cake order for a 70th B-Day for tomorrow. They left the flavors up to me but asked me for a "less sweet" frosting. So I really wanted to try this and I think they'll be happy with it. I used unsalted butter and a LOT of flavorings, i.e. vanilla paste and a splash of lemon oil.

No, it doesn't smell like hard boiled eggs at all and I'm wondering if you may have "cooked" your eggs to too high a temperature. Did you use a thermometer?

I don't think any one bc recipe is perfect for everyone........heck it'd be pretty boring if we all made the same stuff anyway. Everybody's taste buds are different I guess. But, I will add this SMBC recipe to my collection, even though DH doesn't like it, (that's probably a good thing) he eats WAY too many baked goods anyway! shhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gif

cutthecake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #12 of 18

If I had overcooked it, wouldn't it have been clumpy or lumpy or curdled or chunky or something equally obvious? It was smooth and glossy and light and fluffy, and looked just beautiful.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlgdl

If I had overcooked it, wouldn't it have been clumpy or lumpy or curdled or chunky or something equally obvious? It was smooth and glossy and light and fluffy, and looked just beautiful.

Since I only just made it once I don't know.....but there is a great thread on here started by jkalman (well dressed cakes) it's like 19 pages long, all about SMBC and she posted a picture tutorial of the different stages of the bc. That's what got me to try it out. She does mention the importance of using a thermometer and not heating above 160degrees. When you said it smells like hard boiled eggs the overcooking thing just came to mind....but your probably correct that it wouldn't have whipped up if it were over cooked.

Did it taste like hard boiled eggs or eggs at all? Maybe it was the freshness of the eggs? icon_confused.gif

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #14 of 18

Martha Stewart's SMBC recipe is on her website. Just type in Swiss Meringue Buttercream into the recipe search and it will come up. I've had good luck and reviews of her icing.

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 18

gdlgdl can i have that recipe for whimsical bakehouse's house buttercream im still in search of a great buttercream

cutthecake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:48pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I think it's just a matter of preference. The SMBC came out perfect, looks beautiful, and was a dream to apply to the cake. Guess I just don't like the taste. I DO like sweets, so maybe the milder taste doesn't appeal to me.
I appreciate the input.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 18

I like to mix SMBC with regular powdered sugar buttercream, it's the best of both.

jannp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jannp Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #18 of 18

i just love this icing. i agree that it does not have the sweetness that the powdered sugar recipes have. it has a sheen to it that makes for a VERY PRETTY cake. i am in the process of trying different buttercreams and am eager to try the whimsical cake buttercream i have attached a picture using the smbc. it's great for smoothing (which is not one of my better techniques - still working on that) and piping. the strawberries stuck to it like glue. the recipe i use is 1 cup egg whites, 2 cups sugar, 5 sticks soften unsalted butter, 2 tsp vanilla. dissolve the sugar/egg whites over pan of boiling water; beat white til stiff then add butter, 1 stick at a time. it's totally yummy right out of the bowl. hope this gives a non-swbc user another perspective and smbc lovers another recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%