Sculpt A Pumpkin

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm by Sweetlepea

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 14

I need to make a cake that's a pumpkin. Does anyone have suggestion? I was thinking large cake at the base and smaller as I go. I trying to imagine craving it round. Help?

13 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 14

I made a pumpkin cake for our October birthdays last year. Used a bundt pan, made two cakes, turned one upside down on the other. Was super easy. Here is the link if you would like to look:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207077

HTH

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 14

I've done it many times like Linedancer described. It's super easy and fun. You can use rolled out jelly candy or fruit roll ups for a jack o lantern face and an ice cream cone painted green for the stem. Look in the gallery, I'm sure there are tons of examples of these. Have fun!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 14

Either 2 Bundt pans for a big one, or the round sphere pan for a smaller one (with a layer in the middle if I don't want it too round) is what I usually use.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #5 of 14

I've done the bundt cake thing a couple of times myself. But instead of an ice cream cone for the stem, I used a cleaned out soup can (Campbells condensed soup since it's smaller) for a cake stem, using tooth picks to secure it.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:23am
post #6 of 14

Sounds like a great idea to use the bundt pans! Question- do you have to add any support for the top bundt cake or is it pretty steady? To me it sounds like you would have to add some support or else the bottom one would get squished?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:36am
post #7 of 14

i like the bundt pan look better then the 3d pumpkin pan i bought a few years back.. i almost hardly use it.. or i should say i hardly have the occassion to need it.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #8 of 14

I did not use any support. I did fill the holes the bundt pans make with rice krispie treat mix, and made the stem out of MMF. The cake was an extended chocolate cake mix, buttercream icing. It was sturdy enough, but I did not have to take it anywhere, as the party was at my house. If you are having to travel, you might want to add some support.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:06am
post #9 of 14

Thank you everybody I'm going to try the bundt pan. icon_smile.gif

peg91170 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:11am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbakescakes

Sounds like a great idea to use the bundt pans! Question- do you have to add any support for the top bundt cake or is it pretty steady? To me it sounds like you would have to add some support or else the bottom one would get squished?

I didn't use any support either. I used pound cake so it was pretty sturdy. But then again, I didn't have to transport it either.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #11 of 14

This is awesome I was just thinking about ordering the cast iron one but this will save me money. sugarcheryl thanks for posting this question and thank you all for the responses. I have one question. How is it if you cover it in fondant? I don't want to loose the roundness in the bottom part. Any suggestions appreciated. I hope that I am not hijacking the thread.

peg91170 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:43am
post #12 of 14

I haven't used fondant on it yet. I'm going to try that one myself later on this month. I just used icing. I made it for my niece's birthday years ago for her 1st or 2nd birthday and she's going to turn 17 this month. LOL.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 14

Hey all! I tried the technique using 2 bundt cakes and I think it worked great! Turned out VERY cute! I didn't use any support and it was ok at the house but going 12 miles down bumpy roads, it did settle a bit. Luckily it was just for family! If I were to do it again I would throw some dowels in for the top tier. Check out the pic in my photos! Thanks again for the idea! thumbs_up.gif

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #14 of 14

I have also used the 2 bundt cake pan method, and just putting them together and decorating. I used orange tinted fondant for them, and made the stump out of fondant/gumpaste mixture, and used tootsie rolls and little vines on the top coming out icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%