Need Help Please! Cake Delivery Today!!

Decorating By mommy2djb Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm by mommy2djb

mommy2djb Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 10

I have a 3 tier wedding cake to deliver today. Chocolate cake w/ chocolate fondant. I used the Satin ice Dark Chocolate Fondant as I've never made chocolate fondant before. I rolled out all of my fondant with powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture just as I always do, and it looks horrible! What should be beautiful dark chocolate finish looks dry and dusty. What do I do? I thought about trying to smooth a little shortening over it, but not sure if I will mess up the cake.

Please please any advice?!

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 10

Take a smooth little blob piece of the same fondant and rub it all over to clean it.

Then test on scraps--test by spraying or applying some alcohol on one scrap, use oil on one scrap and see if either is what you want.

mommy2djb Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! I'm going to try that now! This cake has been a real struggle. Also when I got up this morning, I had a blowout on one side of the top tier, must have had an airbubble under there and missed it. I pierced it with a pin and tried to smooth it back out, but now that side of the tier is wrinkled. I don't really have time to take it off and recover it, and I'm worried I'll only make it worse if I do. This cake is EXTREMELY minimal in design, which is the hardest thing to execute. Perfectly smooth surface, no designs or anything to cover any mistakes! icon_smile.gif It will only have a few fresh orchids arranged on it, so I'm thinking there will be an orchid going over the blowout!

Going to try the alcohol, etc. Any one else have any other suggestions for how to handle this? And also how to prevent it from happening again? Should you roll out chocolate fondant w/ shortening to keep this from happening?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 10

I roll my fondamt out on a food safe plastic sheet.
No powders or oil needed.

mommy2djb Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 10

What kind of "food safe plastic sheet"? I have an Ateco mat that is a lot like a silpat. I realize that nothing should stick to it, but I still put something on it when rolling fondant, because that's how I learned to do it! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 10

It's a giant 30x30 silpat-y kind of big plastic thing. I just roll it out on there & turn it all over onto my cake and peel it off. Viola*. Umm, I got it from Geraldine Randlesome.

*I still like wa la better though. It's more American--more moi. icon_lol.gif

pinkbox Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 10

Im with k8memphis

I use heavy weight table plastic to roll mine witha light coat of shortening... but before the mat I cocoa powder instead of powdered sugar.

Hope all worked out.

sugarshack Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 10

give it a light rub down with crisco
that will fix it
will onyl stay shiny for a while ( a few hours)

OhMyGanache Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 10

I use either shortening, or airbrush it with just vodka.

mommy2djb Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 10

Well here it is. I am not at all pleased with this cake. I had a horrible time with getting the fondant real smooth, and then it looked dry and the color was uneven. ugh. At least the flowers draw your eyes away from how horrible it looked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%