What Is Your Preferred Cookie Cutter Material?

Baking By rachelsmom01 Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 10:28pm by SweetDreamsAT

rachelsmom01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelsmom01 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 7

Like most of you, I have 100s of cookie cutters. A lot of them are made of tin or aluminum and can be quite "bendy and lose their shape. thumbsdown.gif I was wondering what you all preferred or considered to be the best kind of cutter -- tin, aluminum, steel or copper (price?).

6 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 7

I guess I don't have a favorite material. If I find the shape I need and want, I'm more than happy to buy it regardless. If pressed, I would say metal over plastic because it gives a sharper edge. For the most part, I'm too cheap for copper, though I have a couple!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 7

I think copper holds their shape the best, but they can be pricey. I like metal ones also, because they have the sharpest edges. Plastic is the easiest to clean though.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

I think copper holds their shape the best, but they can be pricey. I like metal ones also, because they have the sharpest edges. Plastic is the easiest to clean though.

What she said. icon_biggrin.gif

I have mostly metal -- in addition to a good price, they're bendy which makes them better for more intricate shapes. And a lot of copper -- they're generally bigger and make cookies better sized for party favors. Plus, I think they're pretty. icon_smile.gif

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 7

I have tin, aluminum, plastic and copper. I like each but I really love the copper. They're just so $$$$.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 7

Copper, hands down. They don't rust, are easy to clean, hold their shape beautifully and are a dream to work with. Not to mention they will outlast your grandchildren's grandchildren! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with bobwonderbuns! Copper are my favorite, next would be stainless steel - no rust!! and durable!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%