Coffee In Cake

Baking By crbowles Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 3:09pm by CarolAnn

crbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crbowles Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 9

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not locate a thread.

I have a recipe that calls for 1 1/4 cups of strong coffee. I do not enjoy coffee at all, therefore I do not keep it in my house.

Are there any substitutions I can make for this that would not compromise the integrity of the cake?

Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

Renee

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 9

Coffee is mostly water, so if you don't want coffee flavor, use water.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 9

You could try instant coffee. I wouldn't use it if it's the predominant flavor in the cake though. I put a cup of coffee in my chocolate cake and every once in a blue moon I run out of coffee so I'll use instant coffee. I don't taste a difference but then again, the coffee in my cake is not the main flavoring.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 9

What is the nature of the recipe? One and quarter cups of strong flavor being left out creates a big flavor hole. I mean sure you can use another liquid but it will definitely impact the flavor outcome. Often times people do not detect the coffee in some recipes that involve the coffee as an accent. So...I think I would try another recipe or add some flavor juju.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 9

hmmm, maybe you could use a coffee flavoring, although the fat in the liquid might 'undo' the nature of the recipe..

borrow from a neighbor?
buy a coffee from the local corner store?
or keep instant on hand, i'm guessing you would need to 'make' the coffee, not just add the granules....i'd double whatever it recommended....
sally

digits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
digits Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 9

If it is for a chocolate cake I highly recommend it. I can't stand coffee but when you use it in a chocolate cake with good chocolate it just brings the chocolate flavor out that much more and doesn't take like coffee at all.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with the others regarding chocolate cake. Coffee really enhances the chocolate without imparting a coffee flavor.

I do NOT recommend substituting instant coffee. It is too bitter and THAT flavor may be picked up in the cake.

Definitely run down to the corner gas station and grab a cup of coffee there. Make sure you let it cool off before adding it to the cake. icon_smile.gif

In fact, grab two cups and freeze the other for future cake. thumbs_up.gif

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 9

I've used both regular-brewed coffee and instant. Instant coffee really does not make it bitter per se; it just has a different taste (obviously) from brewed coffee. But when it's in a cake mix you can't tell the difference.

If it's flavor you're going for and don't want the coffee flavor try substituting an instant coffee creamer. You can use water for the amount called for in your recipe, just add about 3 or 4 tbsp (depends on you for flavor) of instant creamer to the water and mix well then add it to your cake mix. I've done it lots of times and it adds a great taste to my cakes!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 9

When I make the choc cake recipe I like that calls for coffee I just make it up strong in my 1 1/2 cup coffee maker. Seems like I use the hot coffee to melt the choc. I'm not a coffee drinker, unless it's half 1/2 &1/2, but I DO love coffee and choc together in deserts. I have a recipe for a choc mocha cake that calls for instant coffee granules, but haven't made it yet. Running anyplace for a cup of coffee not being an option for me (I'm in the country) the little coffee maker comes in handy in more ways than one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%