Candy Clay Questions--Please Help!!!

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 5:19am by adawndria

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:52am
post #1 of 7

I need to make 200 tiny chocolate roses and I am thinking of using candy clay for the first time. Will they dry out and get stiff so they hold their shape, or will they stay softer and then wilt on me when they get in a warm place? I would really appreciate any help.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 7

Define warm. I mean chocolate is fat--fat gets loose if it's warm enough. But it'd probably be ok-ish. It would have to be about sitting in the sun to really melt melt.

I love to make roses out of Hershey's chocolate frosting recipe on the can--pipe them out and let them set up a couple days--you can pick them up with your fingers--they crust. Geez they taste sooo good. mmm

bobbied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbied Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 7

I recently made candy clay roses to go on cupcakes. While I was making them, I didn't think that they would ever be firm enough to stand on their own (hot hands, I guess). I would have to chill them for a while between petals! After they were completed, they were just fine at room temp unless I started messing with them. I myself would hesitate to have them get much above a comfortable room temp (in our house, about 76). HTH.

Have fun!
Bobbie

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

I use modeling chocolate a lot, and as long as you keep your roses at about 85 degrees or less, they will be fine. My OSSAS Chocolate Chocolate entry (which a friend of mine graciously took to Tulsa on my behalf) was left in the trunk of my car yesterday while I went grocery shopping. It's entirely covered in modeling chocolate. Since the show has been over for a week, and I'm going to throw away the cake anyway, I was curious how it would hold up. No problem.

HTH,
Deanna

Cookies4kids Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the answers. I guess I will get brave and give it a try.

Cookies4kids Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the answers. I guess I will get brave and give it a try. I am also considering a good chocolate fondant, so time will tell.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:19am
post #7 of 7

I've left candy clay out on my counter (in Saran wrap) before for quite some time. It didn't soften or melt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%