Help!! Cake Emergency

Decorating By dolfingirl82 Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 6:37am by tatetart

dolfingirl82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfingirl82 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:53am
post #1 of 9

My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow. I can not get my BC to form right. I've made 2 batches (6cups each). The first batch I over whipped the shortening and butter. I think I did the same thing with the second batch. It looked better but it was runny. It may be the heat I'm not sure. Maybe I should just do 3 cups at a time. I don't know what to do. Any help would be great. I'm about to cry just thinking I may mess up the next batch. I even went to walmart to get more butter and powdered sugar.

icon_cry.gif

8 replies
tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:10am
post #2 of 9

dolfingirl82,

Tell us your recipe....

dolfingirl82 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:12am
post #3 of 9

It is the Wilton recipe (doubled)

1/2 cups shortening
1/2 cups butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk

I've never had a problem with this recipe so i've always used it. Even in Texas this didn't happen and it was the middle of summer.

lemondrops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemondrops Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:16am
post #4 of 9

here is my recipe.
2 sticks no salt room temp butter, 2 cups Crisco, 1 tbsp meringue powder (you can buy at Wal-Mart), 1 tsp almond flav, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla (clear if you want white icing), 1/2 tsp salt, 2 lb powdered sugar. milk to thin.

whip butter & Crisco together (2 minutes) add salt, meringue powder mix in. add flavorings and finally the powdered sugar in stages. thin with milk. A small amount at a time until you get the proper consistency. I don't mix for more than 10 minutes total.

Good Luck!!!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:17am
post #5 of 9

. . . what recipe are you using . . . I wish I could find it, but I saw a tutorial video that showed how if you keep going after you would think your buttercream was ready, that the consistency changes to "even better" buttercream . . . so maybe you haven't over beat it at all, maybe you need to keep going . . . and if you say it is runny (maybe you need to add more powdered sugar) . . . I'm going to keep looking for that video and will post if I am successful finding it . . . in the meantime good luck . . .

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:23am
post #6 of 9

When I used the Wilton recipe it called for 1 Tbsp meringue powder, maybe you could try that. Also try starting with 1 Tbsp. milk and adding the other tablespoon 1/2 Tbsp. at a time until you get the consistency you want. If you really think the heat may be a factor, turn down your thermostat for a little while just for the sake of your icing. I have had to do that myself. Hope this helps.

dolfingirl82 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:28am
post #7 of 9

Living in Hawaii, it maybe a combo of heat and humidity.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:05am
post #8 of 9

. . . I couldn't find the video I was remembering . . . but here is one from sugarshack . . . which is great for knowing what to look for and listen for when making a batch of buttercream . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4ibkH0V_4&feature=related

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:37am
post #9 of 9

Perhaps it is your powdered sugar--- When you rub it between your fingers, does it feel grainy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%