Pricing Shape Cakes

Business By Sweet_Guys Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm by loriemoms

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #1 of 7

Good evening, all!

I know no-one wants to hear the question asked again, How much should I charge? but.... LOL

I know how to price regular cakes for parties and weddings, but....

What do you all do for shape cakes?

Thanks!

6 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 7

I charge $5.00/per serving with a $25 minimum. Alot of people look at me sideways when i tell them the price so i'll just tell them to shop around for quotes and they'll see that i'm probably the cheapest in my area.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 7

Kivia---How do you determine how many slices after you've sliced away at the cake to carve it? I guess that should have been my original question.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:57am
post #4 of 7

Well I normally just bake the cake in a bigger pan than what i really need. Like if they need a cake for 25 people, I would make it in a pan that would serve at least 40. And what ever I cut off my husband and son eats so theres no waste. Does that make sense?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:16am
post #5 of 7

I recently read that you should price your sculpted cakes based on how much actually cake you bake. For instance, if you bake a sheet cake that serves 35 people and carve it to the sculpted cake to serve 20, you still should charge for 35 people. Because that is how much product you used (even if it went into the trash) Does anyone do this?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:24am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I recently read that you should price your sculpted cakes based on how much actually cake you bake. For instance, if you bake a sheet cake that serves 35 people and carve it to the sculpted cake to serve 20, you still should charge for 35 people. Because that is how much product you used (even if it went into the trash) Does anyone do this?

I haven't done carved cakes, but yes that is how I would do it. From my experience in manufacturing (where one of my many hats was to determine pricing of our products out of the plant), it's called "scrap factor" and it's a legitimate business expense that's counted in the cost of raw materials .... even if it goes right in the trash.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Deb! I was thinking of starting to do this, as there are times when I throw away a LOT of cake! (especailly when I do automobiles...) I don't have time to make cake balls and other stuff from my scraps...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%