10.03.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 1:25am by janelwaters

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:29am
post #1 of 46

Who's up? Whatcha workin' on?

I'm printing leaves. Lots of leaves. Then I need to go ice the last cake for tonight and put the leaves on it.

45 replies
weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #2 of 46

I'm up, just finished a bridal shower cake. I can't believe I'm done this early. At the request of the bride to be, I used Rich's Bettercreme. It was weird to work with. I'm hoping my blue scroll work doesn't bleed. Should I store these in the fridge or should I leave them out in boxes. I know someone will know. Thanks.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 46

I'm up I have a cake due next Friday and one the Monday after so I'm surfing trying to get ideas

Molly

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 46

Leahs, I wish I could help you with those leaves. But it's at least a 5 hour drive for me to get there. I'm sure you'll be done by then. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 46

I'm here too! procrastinating as always!!

having problems with my MMF so I decided to take a break and watch my favorite show ever - LIFE.

then its back to Curious George for me!

Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 46

OK ladies I need your help I will be making a Pumpkin Patch Theme Cake for a First Birthday Next Friday Along with a smash Cake I was wondering if you know how I would go about making a stand up tree to place on top of the cake kind of like a tree with no leaves would I use RkT or gum
paste or ? I plan to make a baby poking it's head out the top of a large pumpkin with smaller ones around it as if it were sitting in a pumpkin patch with maybe gum paste toys around it how does that sound or does anyone have any better ideas or pictures mom wants a pumpkin theme with no Halloween Stuff and it really needs to be cute since its for a baby
Thank You for any help?
Molly

Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #7 of 46

Oh janelwaters

I've been wanting to make a Curious George cake is it 3D? Be sure and post your picture

Molly thumbs_up.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #8 of 46

I'm up, but I'm not baking. I wish that I was baking. I am writing lesson plans because we have changed most of our curriculum so that no child is left behind. Of course, only government officials believe this is a better way to educate kids. I now spend hours every week writing plans to implement objectives chosen by politicians in the state capitol.

Okay, you got me-I have my plans open in a word document and I am peeking at the posts over here from time to time to keep my sanity.

Chocolate cake and buttercream icing seems so much more interesting right now. Oops! Got to get back to work. Let me find a creative way to teach 6 year olds how to take notes on nonfiction books. I am not joking, that is what they insist we do or they threaten to take away our funding. Don't they think we could wait until they are in maybe fourth grade???

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.

janelwaters Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #9 of 46

No, I really wanted to do him in 3D or model out of gum paste or something - but my friend Gina picked a cake that just has his face cut out of fondant - SUPER CUTE cake!!

I will definately post pictures when I get done....

Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #10 of 46

I'd love to see your cake janelwaters

funcakes what state are you in I'm familiar with the no child left behind project and I haven't met a teacher yet that likes it

Molly

leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #11 of 46

I like your babies in pumpkins idea. Throw some wafer paper leaves around the pumpkins and call it done.

Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:15am
post #12 of 46

So when you say wafer paper leaves would I print them with editable ink or how would I do that?

Molly

leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #13 of 46

Yes, wafer paper, edible ink, cut out, lightly gel, done. You might even be able to skip the gel step.

Come on over - I'm going to start working on a bunch of them in a few minutes. icon_smile.gif

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by weefoot

I'm up, just finished a bridal shower cake. I can't believe I'm done this early. At the request of the bride to be, I used Rich's Bettercreme. It was weird to work with. I'm hoping my blue scroll work doesn't bleed. Should I store these in the fridge or should I leave them out in boxes. I know someone will know. Thanks.

Hey I would defiantly leave it in the frig. Bettercreme is like cool whip and needs to stay cool, not only that it will keep it from bleeding.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:35am
post #15 of 46

Every weekend I sell at the flea market. Today I'm making Pumpkin muffins, zuchinni muffins, carrot cake, chocolate chip cookies, Oatmeal Raisin cookies, Oatmeal butterscotch cookies, and Peanut butter cookies. I thinki that's it. Oh and sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie. I only have pie left to make and it is in the oven. Then I'm going to bed! By the way I cant decide what I should do with my pumpkin cookies. They need some type of icing. I was thinking of a light not to sweet icing as a filling to make a cookie sandwich. I dont know what kind of icing that would be. But it needs to be easy I've been up since 4:30 am baking.

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #16 of 46

opps

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #17 of 46

I'm here, with my help again this weekend. I think she is willing to make it a weekly night from now on WOOHOO. we have about 13 birthday/shower cakes (that she pretty much has done, I just love her) and I am working on the 1 and only wedding cake this weekend. I may actually get to sleep tonight, I am so excited

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:42am
post #18 of 46

I'm up. working on the design and decorations for my fall theme cake for the newbie contest. Hoping it will all come together since Ive never done anything like this before. But mama always said to think big right?? lol

leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:44am
post #19 of 46

tdybear,you're getting spoiled. LOL

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:52am
post #20 of 46

I'm up and probably will be for a while. 2AM is my absolute cut off, I have to deliver an hour away tomorrow.

I've got a wedding cake that still needs to be put together, all the components are done though. And now that I have been inspired by IndyDebi, I am also catering this wedding so I need to prep some of the food. Right now I gotta mix another batch of dough for the dinner rolls.

I took on waaaay too much this weekend! I had this wedding plus 3 additional orders and a display for the bridal show this weekend. When will I learn to say no?

It isn't the first time and won't be the last that I am exhausted. Such is the life of a biz owner, eh?

icon_wink.gif

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #21 of 46

Yes I am and so happy too. I asked her tonight if she would like to start making friday nights a normal thing and she said YEAH she would not mind doing that. I have been having to turn away so many orders mainly because there is just only so many that I can handle on my own and seriously how am I suppose to grow my business if I keep having to turn people away. So now I can take on more orders and bring in more $$$ YAYYY

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:09am
post #22 of 46

I'm working on a three tier square 50th anniversary cake. This is the first time I've worked with a cake dummy (bottom tier), and boy, is it nice. I wish real cake was that easy to ice!! I made a dozen red gumpaste roses for this cake last week and I can hardly wait to see it come together.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:10am
post #23 of 46

Hi everyone! Just finished four dozen cupcakes for my friend's daughter's volleyball team fundraiser tomorrow. School colors are green & gold.

Now I've gotta clean the kitchen. Husband says it looks like the kitchen threw up again!

ImageImage

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:12am
post #24 of 46

Hi all! Just checking in before bed. Hubby has to work in the morning so our Friday night out got cut short. Ah, such is life. Leahs-your cake sounds awesome!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll be frosting 50 baseball cupcakes tomorrow and baking cakes for four birthdays this week!

leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:13am
post #25 of 46

Caked is frosted and 15 leaves cut ou. Making progress. And watching David Letterman.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:16am
post #26 of 46

Im here working away... 45 min to go though then back again to work at 6am

Kim_in_CajunCountry

Tell me however do you keep your cupcake papers looking so perfect?? Whats your secret?

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #27 of 46

Love the green and gold swirl!! They look so yummy...

darn it... licked the screen again clean up in cubbie 13

Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:20am
post #28 of 46

Leahs

I have rice paper but have never used it. Can I print leaves on it with a editable ink printer

Molly

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:21am
post #29 of 46

I'm working on my version of inspireddecorator "High School Musical" cake. it's been a long time since I have done a tiered cake so this is a challange for me.. it's for my niece's 4th birthday so if doesn't turn out, oh well, she only "4". I'm hoping I can do it all in buttercream. If not I bought plenty of marshmallows for mmf. I did forget to get some dowel
rods, so any suggestions on what I can use instead? I'm hoping I won't
need any stablizers.

janelwaters Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:27am
post #30 of 46

Ok - well I have MAJOR fondant problems tonight! I got that fixed and both cakes covered on their boards with the bottom border - too tired to put George on tonight - will add them tomorrow (one George head on the 10 inch and the whole George on the 6 inch smoosh!).

Does anyone else have problems with their husbands (or children) walking through the kitchen and helping themselves to your icing/filling??

I could kill him sometimes - but I love him and all that - so I guess I'll just keep complaining about it!

OK - off the bed! Good luck to all of those still out there - may the Cake Gods bless you and the sugar fairies complete your work during the night!

Janel

btw - George (picture) will make his grand appearence tomorrow afternoon - hopefully!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%