You Returned The Cake Why????????

Business By barbaranoel Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm by Pookie59

barbaranoel Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #1 of 22

Today, I had a cake returned to the bakery because it was too sweet! It was a chocolate cake with chocolate icing and peanut butter cream center!

Seriously, it was too sweet?? Are you kidding me? What are these people thinking??

Of course its sweet. IT'S A CAKE!!!!

21 replies
Deniro Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:19am
post #2 of 22

I've never heard such a thing, Was this a special order or just a walk in?

tootie0809 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:04am
post #3 of 22

Well that's just insane! Nothing can be too sweet! Did you give them their money back?

kelleym Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:08am
post #4 of 22

This reminds me of the time I worked at a pizza place, and someone called to complain that their double cheese, double sausage, double pepperoni pizza was too greasy. icon_confused.gif

chutzpah Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:24am
post #5 of 22

Actually, it does sound grossly sweet to me. But..... I would never order that flavor combo at all, because it does sound too sweet. My favorite flavor is grapefruit, so I love sour/bitter flavors.

Just because THEY thought it was too sweet doesn't entitle them to a full refund. They should have thought about what they wanted before they chose that combo.

loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:43am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Actually, it does sound grossly sweet to me. But..... I would never order that flavor combo at all, because it does sound too sweet. My favorite flavor is grapefruit, so I love sour/bitter flavors.

Just because THEY thought it was too sweet doesn't entitle them to a full refund. They should have thought about what they wanted before they chose that combo.

I agree, it sounds like a too rich for my taste combo too. (for instance, I cannot stand those death by chocolate cakes) But I agree, they should have thought of that before they ordered it!

Its like ordering a good mexican meal and returning it because its too spicy...

indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:26am
post #7 of 22

what did they expect you to do to fix it ... slap a little tobasco sauce on it? icon_confused.gif

justducky Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 22

Tabasco would bleed the colors. Try cumin.

HerBoudoir Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, it sounds like a too rich for my taste combo too. (for instance, I cannot stand those death by chocolate cakes) But I agree, they should have thought of that before they ordered it!

That's why I make my death by chocolate-style cake with lots of bittersweet and dark chocolates - dark chocolate mousse filling with no extra sugar, SMBC with dark chocolate ganache (less sweet than American), and some cocoa nibs for crunch.

My family is English, and we don't like super sweet desserts either....but knowing that, I wouldn't have bought that combo either.

FromScratch Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 22

My death by chocolate cake is made with all dark and bittersweet chocolates too and, while it's definitely rich, it's not cloyingly sweet at all.

BUT... I mean come on.. you order a chocolate cake with PB filling and chocolate frosting and you don't expect it to be really sweet??? icon_confused.gif

Deb_ Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:46pm
post #11 of 22

So barbaranoel, what did you do? Did you give her a full refund? I'm curious to know.

edit to add: How much of the cake was missing?

michellenj Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 22

I think the flavor combo sounds good, but I have a very bad sweet tooth.

Here's a little hint: if you hot pepper the underside of the food, it doesn't matter if the Tabasco bleeds. Ask the owner of my old hotel.

Katie-Bug Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 22

One of the fillings I offer is Peanut Butter and I have several people who order it with Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Frosting.

I have ordered many things that I thought I would like and didn't, doesn't mean I get a refund!!

I know that to save face, a your repatition, you would want to do something to comensate, but a full refund!!! Tough situation!!!

loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

hahahahahaha! You guys always make my day!

loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:31pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

One of the fillings I offer is Peanut Butter and I have several people who order it with Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Frosting.

I super duper whip up the PB buttercream to almost a mousse and they love it! Its not so rich!

barbaranoel Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #16 of 22

Sorry, I didn't reply 'cause cc wasn't notifying me that I had responses.

I work in a Kroger bakery, so she knew what she was getting before she bought it - you could see that it was really rich, you'd have to be blind not to have seen it.

Yes, we gave her money back. Its company policy to refund it. We can't decline it because of stupidity icon_confused.gif

On the bright side, there was only one piece gone. A tall glass of milk would have helped alot.

I frequently make a chocolate cake with a peanut butter icing, but serve it with warnings that a gallon of milk needed with each cake!!

GenGen Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

what did they expect you to do to fix it ... slap a little tobasco sauce on it? icon_confused.gif

woo hoo.. spicey icon_smile.gif

(hey i love Franks.. all the good flavor of tobasco but with less heat!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

hehe reminds me- we have a local icecream/deli shop here that also serves wonderful teas. spresso's and a wide variety of hot chocolates.. including my husbands favorite Hot HOt chocolate.. its white hot chocolate with cinnamon and a nice warm spice i forget which one it is right now.. it has a bite and warms ya right up two ways icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #18 of 22

Of course its sweet. IT'S A CAKE!!!![/quote]

Come on....give em' a break....I mean...I returned a cake once cause it was baked too long...I'm a big fan of sugar soup.

GenGen Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I'm a big fan of sugar soup.

icon_lol.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #20 of 22

How much of the actual cake did this lady consume before she returned it? Or did she just take it home cut it in half saving it for later and return the uneaten protion to get her money back? So she got her money and ate her cake too???

I would have her name on my list of people to be careful with refunds.
SOME PEOPLES KIDS!!! icon_evil.gif

FromScratch Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #21 of 22

The fact that you are in a kroger bakery makes it even more DUH!!! Grocery store cakes are always overly sweet. At least there was only one slice gone so you know they didn't eat it all and come back to say it was gross, but still. How could you not think a cake like that from Kroger wasn't going to be over the top sweet.

Pookie59 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #22 of 22

She should have been told, "Sorry, this wasn't a tasting! No refunds!"

Oh well, Kroger can afford it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%