Air Brush Color Question...please Help

Decorating By kboothe Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 3:39am by kboothe

kboothe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kboothe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:28am
post #1 of 6

I have just started out in doing cakes and one of the things I would like to try is air brushing. Can you make your own coloring or can you only use the store bought? Any information would be great... Kymmy icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:42am
post #2 of 6

You have to buy the air brush color if you use reg coloring it will clog your air brush and your machine want run right

Molly2

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and headaches by buying the ready-made airbrush colors. Not to say the other can't be done, but it truly is just easier to buy them. They are not expensive at all and they go a long way.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:58am
post #4 of 6

Agreed, there are some excellent brands of Airbrush color which are easily accessible and go a very long way (you only use a few drops at a time.) Gel colors are just too thick and not designed for the fine head of an airbrush and you don't want to be clogging that baby -- they cost almost as much as the entire unit to replace! icon_eek.gif Just something to keep in mind. icon_smile.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 6

You CAN use just regular old food colors~ I get them by the quart at restaurant supply or places like Price Club. The KEY is in the cleaning of the airbrush! Even the 'airbrush' colors will eventually clog the airbrush if it is not thoroughly cleaned after use!

To me the main advantage of the airbrush color is the amazing choices of colors available! Yes, you CAN mix your own colors, and using the 'regular' kind for pure primary colors is easy, but remembering how many drops to mix a special color is not easy to do when you get busy! So I use both kinds! and I clean the airbrush by back flushing with warm water [ just hold your finger over the tip with the compressor running. For a 'deep cleaning' now and then I use a solution made with a disolved denture tablet!

kboothe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kboothe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:39am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for the information. My local stores do not carry the product, but I will order it off line. Thanks again everyone is always so helpful....And us newbies need all we can get. I know I do.... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%