Cookie Question

Decorating By sdaij5 Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 11:51am by OhioBaker

sdaij5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdaij5 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:16am
post #1 of 6

I have read alot that people are icing their cookies with royal icing. Doesn't the icing get "candy" like hard? Doesn't that make the cookie a little hard to eat? Or is there some way of doing it so that the icing sets well, yet is still soft enough to bite into without a crunch?

5 replies
sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

I just used the Antonia74 royal icing on the baby cookies I just did. The only part that was candy-hard was the lettering on the dinosaurs. The rest was hard enough to stack the cookies, but it tastes really good.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 6

Sdaij5, my icing recipe is thinned with water. It dries only hard enough to stack/not damage the icing, but is barely crunchy on your teeth. Not rock-hard at all.

Check the articles tab above for the how-to! icon_smile.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:56am
post #4 of 6

I use just standard RI to ice cookies, and it is always firm enough to stack but never hard or crunchy. I think that the butter or moisture in the cookies must keep it from hardening too much. The only thing I do differently from the standard meringue powder royal icing is I add some flavoring.

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:41am
post #5 of 6

I use both RI and MMF to decorate my cookies, depending on the cookie. I make my RI using 2 egg whites, 3 cups of PS, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. almond extract. After I make the batch, I take whatever I need out to color and then I thin with a tsp. or two of water to make it runny enough to paint on, but not too watery. Then I use a silicone pastry brush and paint the RI on. I normally use that for the base coat and then decorate with MMF or the thick RI. One thing that I also like to do when I use the RI as a base coat, I also paint the back. It makes them look really good when you are using them for a cookie bouquet.
As for taste, I get so many compliments on my cookies! The almond flavor really gives them a nice taste.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #6 of 6

I use Wilton's RI recipe and just thin it down. My icing is firm and stackable, but never "hard". My family loves it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%