How Do I Put This Cake Together?

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 1:25am by indydebi

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 7

This is from Collete Peters' website. I have been asked to do one for a wedding on November 1, but the cake will be chocolate with stucco-look buttercream and fresh flowers. Can anyone tell me how to support the solid tiers on top of the bottom rounds? Hopefully I can get the picture to load ...

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Martha
LL

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:19am
post #2 of 7

I've done a similar set-up. I just put a bare styrofoam (4" tall) under the center cake. THe satellite cakes just tuck under the center cake ... be sure they are ever so slightly less than 4" tall ..... or add a couple-three cardboards under the center styrofoam to elevate it enough so your satellites fit underneath.

Here's a not-very-good photo of a cake I did using this technique: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=93756

mbt4955 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 7

I would never have thought about styrofoam. Thanks, Indydebi! What size pans did you use? I'm thinking 6" on the bottom, then 14, 10 and 6.

mbt4955 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #4 of 7

One more question that I hadn't even thought about. How do you cut this cake?

indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #5 of 7

I'd lift the top two tiers off and start by cutting the bottom tier..... move the satellite cakes out of the way, but on my cake in the pic above, I cut the bottom tier right on top of the styrofoam ... didn't have to lean over as far and it helped my back! icon_biggrin.gif

I always cut the largest tier first, then cut the remaining tiers in "largest cake first" order. That way, if there is any leftover cake, it's the smaller, easy to store cakes, instead of a big 'ole cake that wont' fit in most folks' freezer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of 7

Aaaahhhhhh someone else who agrees with me.....

indydebi
Forum SuperStar
always cut the largest tier first, then cut the remaining tiers in "largest cake first" order. That way, if there is any leftover cake, it's the smaller, easy to store cakes, instead of a big 'ole cake

indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #7 of 7

kakeladi, have you seen how some places will cut the back HALF of the cake ... so it still looks like a full wedding cake when the guests walk by the front of it? icon_eek.gif I swear, I'm always thinking, "Great! Just what a bride needs .... four half-cut TIERS of wedding cake to take home and store!" icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%