Um..this Is Weird...what Do You All Think?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm by RobzC8kz

justfrosting Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 16

I am not going to name names but I had to post this.

I ordered some products online. They arrived. Except for the paper label...the product, taste, bottle, cap, color, even the stamp on the bottom of the bottle are all exactly the same as a WILTON product I bought at Hobby Lobby.

Do you think someone could be buying WILTON in bulk--changing the label and reselling?

I mean--they are EXACTLY alike. At the very least, I will not waste time with ordering this product online anymore.

15 replies
cakedesigner59 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 16

Sounds possible...I bet Wilton would love to hear of it!

justfrosting Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 16

I don't want to start any drama but it is really a strange coincidence.

I guess both companies could be using the same "bottle manufacturing co."

chutzpah Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:54am
post #4 of 16

Why would someone do that? It costs more in time and energy to remove someone else's labels and glue on your own, than it's worth. My guess is that these two companies are using the same manufacturer, who then uses the same formula and bottles/jars for all customers.

It would be way more expensive to buy Wilton crap (even 'in bulk') and remove the labels and add one's own, than it is to deal directly with the manufacturer with the right labels from the get-go.

bejewelled Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:12am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Why would someone do that? It costs more in time and energy to remove someone else's labels and glue on your own, than it's worth. My guess is that these two companies are using the same manufacturer, who then uses the same formula and bottles/jars for all customers.

It would be way more expensive to buy Wilton crap (even 'in bulk') and remove the labels and add one's own, than it is to deal directly with the manufacturer with the right labels from the get-go.

I agree Ck Products has identical packaging of Wilton's shimmer glitter dust, only they call it glitter dust, CK's is cheaper. So one has to think, they use the same manufacturer (Wilton only sells it in sets of three, CK has single colours)

justfrosting Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:39am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Well, that makes much more sense...

But also, that means it is still the same product. The online people were not trying to scam me, but I can still just by plain ole' Wilton's. Hmmm.

mellormom Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #7 of 16

Americolor is really good and they are definitely not Wilton. I would stick to that brand. They seem to work better and faster. Your colors turn out much better with americolor.
Jen...

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:02am
post #8 of 16

lol at "wilton Crap" chutzpah...

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:02am
post #9 of 16

CarolAnn Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #10 of 16

I've seen packages of the little plastic jars, like you buy the shimmer dust in,
for use with craft stuff so it's not like two companies can't have access to the same kind of jars, bottles etc. Wilton just doesn't compare, in my opinion, to Americolor when it comes to their colors, so no I don't think it's the same product with a different label either way you want to look at it. I don't know about the dusts. I've only used a glitter by CK.

chutzpah Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:08am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

LOL! For some odd reason, whenever I write Wilton, the word crap seems somehow attached.

justfrosting Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 16

Just to cover two things before someone misunderstands...

The company I ordered from was NOT americolor...

And the product I ordered was NOT any kind of color gels.

Thanks guys!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #13 of 16

I am disappointed with Wilton too... but sometimes that is all i gan get ahold of.... or the 40% off coupon makes it ok.... .

oh well.

I can't wait to start buying sqeeze bottle colors.. instead of the stupid little tubs!!!

ccr03 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 16

Just something to consider....

My aunt works at a paper plate company, and they use the same plates for different brands - they just changing the plastic wrap.

akgirl10 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #15 of 16

I used to work for many years for a bath/makeup/lotion place, and when they would order their makeup it came from the same 4 or 5 manufacturers that made makekup for shisheido, estee lauder, etc. The makeup houses also provided goods for revlon, l'oreal, and other drugstore brands. It was not uncommon for us to have the same packaging as other lipglosses, bronzing palettes, and whatnot.

RobzC8kz Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm
post #16 of 16

Is it just me, or is "Wilton" the cake world's buzz word for subpar products?!?! I think that if it's true that you can get "generic" Wilton products cheaper, and directly, from the manufacturer, then why buy anything with a Wilton brand name on it at all??

I won't buy anything edible from Wilton. And if I can find a better alternative to their tools and pans and whatnot, I definitely go that way as well.

I remember when I was a kid and everything was Wilton. Could it be that the bigger they got the more the quality of their products suffered??

I've yet to see a thread on this site that actually praises Wilton!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%