Healthy Recipes??

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 1:04am by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 15

Since there are many people right now that are a part of CC that are trying to lose weight as well as many other's that have sucessfully lost weight in the past, I thought it would be nice to have a tread for healthy recipes that can help every one out.

Do you have a healthy recipes that you have tried and liked that you would share with others?

Do you have healthy snack or breakfast ideas to share?

What is your favorite low cal, low fat, high protien (ect...) lunch/dinner ideas?

What tips do you have for reducing calories in your favorite dishes or foods?

When you post a recipe, if you know the nuntritional facts please post them too.

Here are a some recipes calculators for those like me that have traditional or hand my down recipes that you are curious about learning the nutritional facts for.

Also have you wondered how many calories are in an apple, grapes, luttuce or other things that don't come with the nutritional facts attached? Here are a couple of links to help you out there.

Because there are current threads that deal with wanting to lose weight I do want to ask that we just us this one for just healthy recipes and helpful food ideas.

If you are looking for weight loss support, diet/weight loss information, suggestions or ideas, I would suggest looking at the two threads below.

Chunky Monkeys

Putting Down the Cake Club

Okay, ready? Let's share! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
TexasSugar Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 15

These are some soup and salad recipes I have tried the last two weeks.

Garden Harvest Soup
10 servings (about 1 cup each)
176 calories per serving

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Medium onion, chopped
1 Carrot, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 quarts (8 cups) low-salt vegetable or chicken stock or broth
1 can (28 oz) Whole, crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups Water
1 Small head cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Optional garnishes: Chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh cilantro

Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil, then onion; cook 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrot, garlic, and bell pepper; cook until tender. Add stock/broth, tomatoes, water and cabbage; simmer uncovered 20 mins. Season to taste with hot sauce and salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with parsley or cilantro if desired.

Total fat: 4g
Sat fat: .8g
Healthy Fats: 2.85g
Fiber: 3.6g
Carbs: 15.9g
Sugar: 4.6g
Protein: 7.1g
Sodium: 374 mg
Calcium: 73 mg
Magnesium: 35 mg
Selenium 5.6 mcg
Potassium: 631 mg

This recipes is from: You on a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management. By Dr. Roizen and Dr. Oz.

Like most recipes I try, I change things up a little. Instead of the chopped carrot, I used about two handfuls of pre shredded carrots that I ran a knife through it to cut them into smaller pieces. I used minced garlic, from the jar, since we always have that on hand and I forgot to get fresh garlic. In place of the 28 oz can of tomatoes I used two 14.5 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes. I also cooked it longer than 20 mins to soften up the cabbage some more. I got more than ten 1-cup servings.

After three of us ate I separated the rest into (9) 1-cup portions, putting it in zip lock bags that were labeled with what it is, how many calories, fat, protein and fiber. Those went into the freezer for future lunches.

Tuscan Minestrone Soup
The Best Life Diet, by Bob Greene

This classic calls for a classic topping: a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. But if you want to reduce the soup's already low calorie count even more, leave off the cheese - the soup will still taste rich and satisfying.

Serves 6

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 in slices, about 2 cups
1 medium summer squash, cut into 1/2 in slices, about 2 cups
1 large carrot, finely diced, about 3/4 cup
1 small onion, finely diced, about 3/4 cup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
4 cups all-natural reduced-sodium chicken broth, such as Health Valley fat-free chicken broth or Pacific Foods low-sodium chicken broth
One 15-oz can diced tomatoes
One 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup whole wheat Barilla Plus or elbow pasta
3 fresh thyme springs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil, cut into strips

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, summer squash, carrot, onion, garlic and Italian seasonion to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 mins. Stir in the broth and diced tomatoes, cover the mixture, and bring to a boil. Add the beans, pasta and thyme, and cook, uncovered, at a low boil until the pasta is done, about 10 mins. Remove the thyme springs, and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Serve in individual bowls and top each with the Parmesan cheese and basil.

Per servings, about:
Calories: 193
Protien: 10g
Carbs: 25g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Total Fat: 7g
Sat Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 5mg
Calcium: 130mg
Sodium: 516mg

Again I made some adjustments based off what I had or didn't have. Instead of the diced carrot I chopped up some shredded carrot. I just used Racheal Ray's Chicken Broth. It is low sodium, but not all natural. Replaced the diced tomatoes with fire roasted tomatoes. Used Ronzoni pasta instead of the whole wheat, since I had a coupon for that brand. The store was out of fresh thyme and we didn't have any in the garden I left that out. I also left out the basil because it wasn't very pretty at the store, and I'm not a huge basil friend. It is one of those a little goes a long way for me. We felt with the Italian seasoning that there was plenty flavor in it with out the thyme or basil, but you can always add what works for you there.

Seasame Cucumber Salad
You On A Diet By: Dr. Roizen and Dr. Oz

2 servings
187 calories per serving

1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/2 bunch chives, minced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Combine vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl; mix well. Add cucumbers, chives and sesame seeds; mix well.

What's in it for you?
Total Fat: 6.8g
Sat fat: 1g
Healthy Fat: 5.3g
Fiber: 3.2g
Carbs: 29g
Sugar: 8.2g
Protein: 6.2g
Sodium: 180mg
Calcium: 90mg
Magnesium: 85mg
Selenium 18.2 mcg
Potassium 750mg

This isn't a salad I would want all the time, but now and then it would be a good something different to add in the way of salads.

Another quick, easy yummy salad is:
Spinach leaves
Strawberry slices and/or Oranges chucks or mandarin oranges
Small amount of walnuts or almonds (optional)

I have been making a simple dressing for it using a small amount of olive oil, vinager, sweetner and a little pepper.

I don't have the nutritional facts on this one, but spinach and fruit are good for ya. The nuts are high in calories, but are a healthy fat, as is the olive oil.

michellenj Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #3 of 15

I think this is a great idea. I'm still doing Weight Watchers, so I will post some of my We Wa recipes when I get a chance. Thanks for starting this.

TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:05am
post #4 of 15

Thanks! I would love to see them.

I have another recipe that I will type up tomorrow when I get a chance.

Does anyone else have any healthy eating ideas to share? Anyone else interested in this?

butternut Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 15

Healthy Fried Chicken
From Good Housekeeping

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 (3 pound) cut up chicken (skin removed)
1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel

In large self sealing plastic bag, place buttermilk, ground red pepper and 3/4 teaspoon salt, add chicken pieces, turning to coat. Seal bag, pressing out excess air.Refrigerate chicken at least 1 hour or preferably overnight, turning bag over once.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan with nonstick spray. In large bowl, combine panko and lemon peel.

Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess. Discard marinade. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, to panko mixture, turning to coat. Place chicken in prepared pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until coating is crisp and juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced with tip of knife. For browner coating, after chicken is cooked, turn oven to broil. Broil chicken 5 to 6 inches from source of heat 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.

Serves 4

Calories 305
Total fat 9
Saturated fat 3
Cholesterol 101
Sodium 370
Total Carbohydreate 16
Dietary Fiber 1
Sugars -
Protein 36
Calcium -

Hope you enjoy!!!!

dinas27 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 15

I posted this on another thread a while ago so sorry if I am repeating, but definately check out 'eat, shrink and be merry' cookbook. I have their "crazy plates" cookbook and love it. Some recipes can be cut down even more in fat - like the moussaka recipe I substitute ground turkey, cottage cheese (put in blender first) for the ricotta and leave out the feta.

The two sisters also have a show on food network canada and have a bunch of recipes posted on that link. You can sign up for their mailing list and be sent a new recipe about once a month.

TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 15

Butternutt, that recipes sounds good. We will have to try it out sometime.

Dinas27, I'll have to look for that book.

Here another recipe for everyone.

Broccoli Mac & Cheese
(From the Best Life Diet by Bob Greene page 243)

Serves 6 (1 1/3 cups each)

8oz uncooked whole wheat penne pasta (2 1/3 cups)
1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
One 24-oz bag Green Gaint frozen broccoli and three cheese with sauce
2 cups cubed cooked skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup nonfat milk
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup plain dried bread crumbs
3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Cook the pasta as directed on the package, adding the bell pepper during the last 3 mins of cook time. Drain the pasta, and return it to the saucepan.

Meanwhile, cook the broccoli and cheese sauce as directed on the package. Stir the cooked broccoli mixture, chicken, milk, and cayenne pepper into the pasta. Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish.

In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning; stir in the olive oil using a fork. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta mixture.

Bake for 15-20 mins, or until the top is golden brown and the pasta is hot.

Per serving, about:
Calories: 302
Protein: 22g
Carbs: 36g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Total Fat: 8g
Sat Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 37mg
Calcium: 106mg
Sodium: 508mg

I pretty much followed this one as is. I did use frozen precooked chicken this time, but next time I think I will cook my own chicken. I also used 1% milk since we haven't made it to skim milk yet.

butternut Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 15

Ok, I searched the net trying to figure out this spaghetti delimma. I did come up with a chart of dry ingredients verses cooked. I like what I found, just hope it's correct. Here's what I found:

Pasta/Rice Cals per oz. (boiled) Cals per oz (dry wt)
Fresh Pasta 29 80
Dry Pasta 32 96
Spaghetti 32 97
Brown/White rice 39 100
Basmati Indian rice 39 100
Pearl Barley 34 103
Noodles 27 109

So, if this is correct, I guess that 6 oz of cooked spaghetti wasn't too bad after all thumbs_up.gif But I'm still going to weigh out the portion next time before I cook it and see what it weighs afterward.......Still a bit skeptical....

TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 15

My skettie package says serving size 2 oz dry. So I think I'd measure it out dry then cook it. Do weight it after ward so you can compare the numbers and you do know for when you cake pre measure.

butternut Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 15

Oh gosh, all my numbers moved over. They were supposed to be under the headings. Oh well, I guess it can be understood.. TexasSugar, I've already made a copy of the Brocolli Mac and Cheese and am making a list of things I need to get from the store. I just love trying out new recipes. Even more so when they are healthier for you recipes. I'm going to come up with some more soon and will post.

TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 15

Butternut, I so love trying new recipes myself. I'm just trying to make sure that now I am trying better for you recipes that help me reach my goal. I have a few recipes I will be trying this week, and will post if they are good. icon_smile.gif

Right now my current favorite breakfast is Dannon Light and Fit yogurt with fresh fruit. It is yummy, filling and doesn't take long to fix. Plus by changing out the fruit I can vary it easily.

I'm also cutting out extra calories by leaving butter off of things. Those 60-70 calories per tablespoon really up after a while. And the natural taste of foods that aren't covered up can be pretty good. HeHe.

michellenj Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 15

I've started going vegetarian once or twice a week, and that has helped me drop a little weight, I read about this somewhere else and had hoped to jumpstart my weight loss again. has the nutritional values of their recipes, if you have never checked them out.

Pookie59 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 15

Here's the biggest one: cut down on portion size!

That, and get some freaking exercise!

(I'm preaching to the choir.)

TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:21am
post #14 of 15

I agree that cutting back portions can help, but if you are still eatting really bad for you, fatty, sugary foods, just cutting back how much you eat isn't going to do it for ya in the long run.

Some thing I have learned recently is that good for me foods make me feel better, stay fuller longer, and have things in them that I need. I'm getting better results eating better than I was just cutting back portion sizes of all the foods I was eating before.

So yes people need to cut back, but then there is that point where you really need to consider what you are eating and what it is doing to or for your body.

Excercise is great too, but there isn't always a free hour in my day to walk 3 miles or do some work outs. I can atleast eat right on the days I can't actually exercise.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #15 of 15

Vegetarian Chili
(from Best Life Diet, page 247)

Pair this with a serving of brown rice, and you've got a highly nutritious, very satisfying 550-calorie dinner.

Serves 4

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
4 gloves garlic, finely chopped
2 fresh jalapeno or serrano chiles, seeded, finely chopped
Two 15 oz cans black beans, preferably no-salt-added or reduced-sodium, frained and rinsed
Two 14.5 oz cans organic, fire roasted, or plain dieced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon course salt (kosher or sea salt)
1 cup frozen sweet corn
Sour cream or plain yogurt, if desired
Shredded chedder cheese, if desired
Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired

In a 4-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the onion, bell pepper, garlic and chiles in the oil 5-7 mins, stirring frequently, until tender.

Stir in the black beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Heat mixture until it boils. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in the corn. Heat until it boils. Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 mins longer.

Top each serving with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.

Per Serving, About:
Calories 330
Protein: 17 g
Carbs: 59 g
Dietary Fiber: 15 g
Total Fat: 4 g
Sat Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Calcium: 169 mg
Sodium: 728 mg

Note: The sodium in this dish is a little high, but it is worth it here for all the fiber and nutrients. If you can be satisfied with half the amount of salt, then the sodium drops to 610 mg.

Only changed I did this time was to use a tame jalapeno pepper. I'm not a big spicy person to it was just right to me with them. Next time I make it I might up the chili powder a little.

1/4 of the recipe was too much to me for a serving (we did add the rice). There was no way I could have eaten that much. I think this recipe would have made atleast 6 servings for us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%