Butterfly Help!!

Decorating By meganmo27 Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 1:13am by lalaine

meganmo27 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, I made some really cute fondant butterflies and want to attach them to wire to give the effect of flying. However, when I tried it my butterfly broke icon_sad.gif I put the wire into the body of the butterfly and then attached to the wings. Does anyone have any ideas? I've got this picture in my head for this cake and would really like to be able to do it. Thanks!

8 replies
meganmo27 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 9

Hello?? Can anybody help???

tlreetz Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 9

when you say you put the wire in the body and then attached to the wings....where did the butterfly break at?

tlreetz Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 9

I guess what I would do if first make them out of gumpaste so they dry harder and faster. Then make the butterflies completely and insert wire (with a little hook in the end) into the center top of the body. Seal the wire in the top of the body and let dry until completely dry.

summernoelle Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 9

Can you use something to make the butterflies on piece? Like a butterfly cutter, and then make a body to go between the two wings?
Also, heating the wire before putting on the fondant decoration works really well.

meganmo27 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 9

I made them out of fondant using a cookie cutter. so they were all one piece. I let them dry overnight using a piece of cardboard folded at an angle so that the wings would dry up (like they were flying). Then I took a piece of fondant and rolled it into a snake shape and laid it in the middle between the wings. I then inserted the wire into the bottom end of the body to the middle.
when you mention "seal the wire" how do you do that? I think that I'll try them out of gumpaste and see how that works.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 9

Your technique sounds great, but insert the wire and put on the second body piece before you let it dry. To seal the wire is exactly what you did, but the fondant or gum paste should not be dry.

I hope that makes sense.

meganmo27 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 9

okay, I'll try that. Thanks for the advice.

lalaine Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #9 of 9

what if you made the body out of fondant/gumpaste formed around a wire with the end curled around like a closed hook. let it dry completely, so the wire is imbedded into the body. at the same time, make the wings and let dry folded in half. next day, attach the wings to the body with gumpaste glue or royal icing.

or better yet--cut your piece of wire however long you need itto stick out of the cake. cut a smaller piece a little longer than the butterfly body. (if the butterfly is 1.5 inches long, cut the second wire about 2 inches long). line up the 2 wires so they are even at one end, and wherever the smaller wire ends, twist it around the longer wire so that both ends are free and can fork out, so it looks like the letter Y. use the 2 ends of the Y to be the antennae, curl the ends. then form a fondant/gumpaste body and head covering the twisted part of the wire, so only the antennae ends stick out and the twisted part is about halfway down the body. let dry, attach wings the next day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%