Pin On My Kitchenaid??

Decorating By lhayes1976 Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 12:42am by Deb_

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 29

When I was cleaning my KA today, I accidently pulled the pin? out of the stand. I can get it part of the way back in, but it doesn't seem to want to go back in. What is this pin for anyway? Will if affect my machine?

28 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 29

Where was the pin located?

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 29

Do you mean that little round thing in the front that screws in and out? I'm interested to know also.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 29

It's in the stand part of the mixer. It's silver. The pin holds the mixer head onto the stand.

The pin on mine tends to wiggle it's way part way out all the time. I have to hold the part of the mixer than you can lift up ( the head), up part way, then push the pin back in. It won't budge if you have the mixer head down.

Give that a try.

KimAZ

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 29

I may be wrong but I have the same thing on the front of my Kitchenaid & I think it is where you attach attachments ie.... pasta maker, or meat grinder attachments. I always unscrew mine when I'm cleaning it, but it goes back on. If you take that screw off then the little kitchen aide lable disk falls off right?

lhayes1976 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 29

KimAZ--I can get it to go back in about 1/3 of the way now, but I think it was in more than that. How far should it be going?

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 29

My KA pin pushes out all the time. I just take a small hammer and tap it back in.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:46am
post #8 of 29

It should go all the way back in, flush with the side of the stand.
Funny thing is, I had noticed the pin of mine was sticking out further than further and didn't even realize it wasn't suppose to be that way until I read about someone having that problem here at Cake Central earlier this year . I was like.."well duh!..you mean it's not suppose to be sticking out like that?!" icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif I'm quite sure it was about to fall out completely. Now wouldn't that have been a big 'ol mess about the time I was mixing up some buttercream if the whole mixer fell off the stand? Yikes!

Good luck!
KimAZ

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 7:08am
post #9 of 29

We are still missing the location as to where it came out of.... icon_rolleyes.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 7:13am
post #10 of 29

can you take a pic and show us?

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:50am
post #11 of 29

I have exactly the same problem with mine! I have had this problem for about a year now. I notice it only starts to come out when I am mixing something like bread or pizza dough. But I just wiggle it back in and it sits flush (no hammer req). It still works fine. THe day my kitchen master dies I will die with it I am sure!! This is one thing I cannot live without!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm
post #12 of 29

After reading this I went to look at mine and it was also pushed all to one side.......it's been that way a long time I thought it was supposed to be icon_confused.gif

I pushed on one end and it slid right in, there's actually a "hole" on the other side of the mixer that it could slide right out of too.

It's located on the upright portion of the mixer about 2" from the top.

Thanks for the heads up icon_smile.gif I'll keep an eye on it.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:36pm
post #13 of 29

I don't know about the pin....but I found a place in Kansas City that repairs KA mixers!!!! It is also buried in the KA website if you look hard enough you can find it. I bought another 6qt refurbished mixer from them and sent the other one for repair....so when it gets back I will have two!!! I don't have the website on this computer but if anyone is interested just PM me!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:56pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsheik

I don't know about the pin....but I found a place in Kansas City that repairs KA mixers!!!! It is also buried in the KA website if you look hard enough you can find it. I bought another 6qt refurbished mixer from them and sent the other one for repair....so when it gets back I will have two!!! I don't have the website on this computer but if anyone is interested just PM me!!

If you have one in repair why would you buy another?

Mike

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #15 of 29

ok guys, this has happened to me for along time. I use a hammer also. I was searching for parts and found a forum on KA about "what if's".
~You may need to tighten the set screw that holds the hinge pin in place. First, unplug the mixer and lock the head into position. Turn the mixer upside down in your lap so you are able to see inside the neck of the mixer. There is a small screw that holds the hinge pin in place. Use a small screwdriver to tighten the set screw, and this should hold the hinge pin in place.

Here is a picture of the hinge pin and where it is located:

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos967/7/96/1/24/21/0/21240196706_0_ALB.

Or you may be like me and not have the screw....so you have to keep hammering it in. Still looking for a screw tho.

Also, not sure if you guys know this...but if your paddle or beater hit's the bottom of the bowl and is wearing out the white coating?

BOWL LIFT MODELS ONLY: When making clearance adjustments to bowl lift models, it is important to make sure that your mixing bowl is secured into the bowl clip, located at the back of the neck of your mixer. When placing the bowl on the arms of your mixer, please press firmly on the rim of the bowl at the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock position until you hear the bowl snap into the clip. Until your bowl is secured, proper adjustment to your mixer cannot be made.

To determine if the clearance is at the correct level, place a dime in the bottom of the mixer bowl, insert the FLAT beater, and turn the mixer to âStirâ speed. The beater should just graze the dime and move it approximately 3/4 â each time it goes around the bowl. If the beater does not touch the dime, the clearance is too high. If the beater has great difficulty pushing the dime around the bottom of the bowl, the clearance is too low.

The clearance may be adjusted with the screw that is located under the head of the mixer. To lower the beater, turn the screw SLIGHTLY (1/4 turn) clockwise or right. To raise the beater, turn the screw SLIGHTLY (1/4 turn) counter clockwise or left.

Adjustment should be made only with the FLAT beater in place. If the clearance is correct for the flat beater, it will be correct for the dough hook and wire whip, as well. You may wish to refer to your Recipe & Instruction Book for specific instructions. This adjustment should correct the problem you are experiencing.

Here is the link to Kitchenaid Forum, if you have anymore problems with your KA http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/default.asp

Hope this helps icon_razz.gif

seagoat Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm
post #16 of 29

sorry, the link/picture didn't come through

ok, I can't seem to get the picture to show...
LL

lhayes1976 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #17 of 29

My little baby is all better! DH took a look and reinserted the hinge pin and tightened the screw. It is flush on both sides when inserted correctly. I've had the mixer 3+ years and this is the first time it's ever happened.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #18 of 29

To Mike.....
My KA died on a Sunday morning while making a batch of BC....I had a 5 tier wedding cake the next weekend. I called everywhere in my rural area to see if there was anyone who could repair it quickly. I found the place in KS and ordered a refurbished one sent to me next day and then I have sent the other in for repair. I don't know about you mike...but I had to have one very quickly and am tickled to think I will now have a back up. Two mixers will be a dream.....I am already loving the two bowls and paddles!!!
Thats why!!!!
Laura

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #19 of 29

I had the experience of the pin work its way out of my mixer yesterday while making buttercream. My husband was able to get the pin in the opening but it work its way out partially as soon as I tried to use it again.

Why would this not be considered a defect. Especially since I've had this mixer one year ( purchased it last year during the LOWES $150 sale).

seagoat Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 29

It's not a defect...it's just a screw is loose. Read the above post to learn how to fix it.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #21 of 29

Laura - I have a 20+ year old KA that needed repair and I bought DeLonghi 7qt while it was in the shop as a back up - later got another DeLonghi 7qt for only $100 (long story) LOVE that I have 3 mixers!! I often have them all going at the same time.

Love the size of the DeLonghis, happy with them - but REALLY love my good OLD KA.

seagoat Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #22 of 29

I used to work with 2 KA's when I was in the states. I would LOVE to have another one. I do have 2 bowls and 2 each of the attachments, that does help.

What I really want is a Hobart! Now, that would be a dream!

GenGen Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagoat

It's not a defect...it's just a screw is loose.

that could start a whole new thread here icon_lol.gif

if thats a "part" that needs fixing.. it certainly applies to the majority of us here yes? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #24 of 29

last i recall on my KA.. mine has the screw... and it didn't look loose to me.. i've had mine almost 14 years with no maintenance ... ugh i probably should.. but i hate the thought if i bring it in for a "check up" and then something happens i'll regret it and feel like i should not have "fixed what wasn't broken" so to speak.. not sure what model mine is cept the fact its a tilt top. and despite its loyal and constant reliability- having a back up someday would be a nice reassurance.

years ago when i ordered some good quality air filters- a free gift with each one was a very nice hand mixer with attachments etc.. so i kept both forever w/o needing to use the 2nd one..

gave the back up away last year; last week hubby broke the mixing beater lol... had that thing for about 6 years.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsheik

To Mike.....
My KA died on a Sunday morning while making a batch of BC....I had a 5 tier wedding cake the next weekend. I called everywhere in my rural area to see if there was anyone who could repair it quickly. I found the place in KS and ordered a refurbished one sent to me next day and then I have sent the other in for repair. I don't know about you mike...but I had to have one very quickly and am tickled to think I will now have a back up. Two mixers will be a dream.....I am already loving the two bowls and paddles!!!
Thats why!!!!
Laura

OK icon_biggrin.gif I just couldn't understand having two unstable machines. I guess under your circumstances it was the only fix.

Oh BTW a hobart, and a viking.

Mike

GenGen Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #26 of 29

i've never had the pleasure of working witha hobart or.. a viking? but from the raves and reviews i hear i can't wait!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:33pm
post #27 of 29

HOBARTS ROCK! I had a huge (around 20-30 qt I think) at work and it was sooooooo nice icon_smile.gif I would only have to make icing once ever 3 months lol.

I have a 4.5 KA and the pin always slips out. I just push it back in.

I dream of a bigger Kitchen Aid.. or a hobart icon_smile.gif

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #28 of 29
Quote:

It's not a defect...it's just a screw is loose. Read the above post to learn how to fix it.

I don't understand how a loose screw on a major part of the mixer could not be considered defective. Banging the screw back in place doesn't seem like a normal step you must take to operate the mixer. Besides I have a 4.5 qt mixer that I've had for 15 years and the screw has not worked its way out dispite the fact that it has gotten a LOT of use.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie112

Quote:

I don't understand how a loose screw on a major part of the mixer could not be considered defective. Banging the screw back in place doesn't seem like a normal step you must take to operate the mixer. Besides I have a 4.5 qt mixer that I've had for 15 years and the screw has not worked its way out dispite the fact that it has gotten a LOT of use.

I think when these KA's get the wear and tear that we all put ours through on a daily basis, it's normal for some screws to loosen a little.
I remember now when I bought my current one, there was a slip attached that said to check all screws and connections because even during the shipping process they felt things could loosen up.

BTW Mike, I also have 2 KA my original from 1988 or around there (still works as good as the day I got it too) and my brand new one from this year. I ALWAYS have the 2 of them going at the same time, it's great to have 2.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%