Imbc--Anyone Paint On It?

Decorating By mmoonlight Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm by -K8memphis

mmoonlight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmoonlight Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone tried painting on IMBC like it's done on fondant? I imagine if you chill it till firm it would have a sturdy surface, but I don't know if you would use the gel/paste color in vodka, or the gel/paste straight or I read somewhere that someone suggests oil-based candy color for IMBC. Any advice?
Also, does anyone know how difficult it would be to make an impression mat? I'll could probably paint freehand if I did it, but getting the exact same flower all around the cake would be a challenge. I've seen some on the market that are nice, but it sure would be nice to design my own.

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 6

I've never tried it, but like as you said if you refrigerate until firm you would have a hard enough surface to work on, but my concern would be the colors beading up/not taking to the IMBC... oil based/candy colors might work... can't hurt to experiment. Spread some IMBC on a cake circle and chill and see what happens when you try to paint it. Better than experimenting on an actual cake! lol

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 6

Impression mats will not work (well) on IMBC or SMBC. Neither will painting or airbrushing, sorry. You might be able to do it with oil based colors, but realize that thoes will never dry. Any other medium will bead up.

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 6

I "painted" on a cake frosted in IMBC with another color of IMBC in my cake design class. It looked like a Limoges box. The flowers I painted on looked Impressionistic. The cake had come out of being in the freezer for a while to do that. I'd be curious to know whether gel paste color dissolved in vodka would work. Let us know!

mmoonlight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmoonlight Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 6

You all were right. I bought the candy color hoping I could paint it on and it would adhere to the buttercream but it's been refrigerated for seven days and it's still wet. Oh well, at least now I know.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 6

I have used an air brush on my smbc. No it does not dry but you can paint it.
If you touch it you're toast but other than that... icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%