I'm Just Feeling Stupid, Frustrated

Decorating By Marcelita Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm by Marcelita

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 8

I have been coloring fondant (first time working with it) because i want to make a bride and groom. Everything was going well until i come to their hair. Both have brownish, blondish, streaky hair. I have thrown away about a half a pound of fondant trying to come up with the right anount of coloring to add, especially with the golden streaks and blond...it just has been turning pale freaky-looking ashy blond. I don't know what colors to combine to get that golden blond. Please, someone help me!! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 8

yellow )like a golden yellow? or egg yellow) and alil brown (very little at a time)?

then add alil more brown and don't mix it all the way to get the streaks? You want to resemble the bride and groom, but you don't need to replicate exactly!!

hope that can help.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 8

You may want to just make yellowish hair then paint in the brown highlights with a tiny brush and gel colors. With small amounts of fondant, I usually have trouble getting the colors to marble they just seem to blend together too much too quickly and it just makes one color. So painting might be the only way to go.

Or, make two different colors, and keep them seperate, just make strands of each and place them on the head.

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 8

Dont waste your fondant!!

I would color a small piece egg yellow or standard yellow. Then I would color another smaller piece brown then do as RocketGirl said..dont mix it all the way, let it stay streaky...try with a little bit of brown first..if its not enough add a little more.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 8

Some good advice here... also, don't throw away the fondant mistakes. Seal em in a plastic bag and save them to use as a base for when you need a darker color in the same family.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 8

I have a fondant couple that I made in my photos. It's supposed to be my DH and myself. I'm not really that blonde. Or that thin. And my Boobs really aren't THAT big. Nor are my lips. But then, my DH's tummy is bigger in real life, and he has WAY less hair on his head.
What I did for my "hair" was take some light brown and some gold fondant, made a long thin rope of both, and with short sections together put them in a clay extruder. ET VOILA. You have streaked hair. Probably not picture perfect, but a picture of beauty none the less. HTH

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

... ET VOILA. You have streaked hair. Probably not picture perfect, but a picture of beauty none the less. HTH

I love you icon_smile.gif

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you SO much...I will try again with your wonderful suggestions. icon_wink.gif

I know it's a learning process but it IS more difficult than what it looks like!!!
Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%