First Birthday Cake Help...

Decorating By adavis4 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 6:24am by Pastelitoz4u

adavis4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adavis4 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone!

I am making my son's first birthday cake at the end of this month. I have WAY over thought this whole thing i am sure. I finally picked out an invitation and 'theme' and figured i would use that to decorate the cake too but i am a little stumped and would love a little input. Here's the invitation i am using.

My plan is to do a three tiered cake (8, 6, & 4?) and make the little animal heads out of fondant to decorate/use as a topper. but i figure i need some other sort of decorations on it. but i am lost trying to think of something that would be cute..

I thought about putting a 1 in a circle on the middle of the middle layer. I would like for it to say his name which is Rhett any maybe happy birthday... argh i dont know...
icon_confused.gif

Any help is greatly apprecaited!!

12 replies
cathymorin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathymorin Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 13

What about balloons?

adavis4 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 13

I thought about doing the balloons but i guess i am unsure how to place it so that it looks best without being too busy.

kbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaby Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 13

why not add balloons around the edges of the tiers and add the animal faces on the top of the top tier in a circle shape with his name inside the circle. you could also add party hat design around the edges mixed in with the balloons.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 13

I like the polka dots on the party hats. Pick 3 of the party hats and copy the colors onto the tiers...base color with polka dot colored ball borders on top and base tiers, with polka dots all over the middle tier. Or a different sequence according to your preference.

Be sure and post pictures when you finish icon_smile.gif

adavis4 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 13

Oh that is a really good idea about the polkadots.. I will definately post pics!

Thank ya'll so much! ya'll rock! Keep it coming!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:44am
post #7 of 13

I would put the his name and happy birthday on the board that way it won't look so busy especially since the top tier is only going to be a 4" cake! Or perhaps you could use balloon shapes attached to wires and each balloon would represent his name and then you could put the animals along the base of the other tiers? I like the idea of the polka dots too!

Good luck, I'm stumped myself as to what to make for my youngest DH who is going to be 1 in a month....

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 7:10am
post #8 of 13

do a nice, simple fondant ribbon around each teir. Maybe in a bright color or something.

any btw, I love the name Rhett. Its so unusual. My name is Jana, and I've only met one other person with my name in my life.

adavis4 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:37am
post #9 of 13

I just wanted to thank ya'll again for helping me, i ended up changing my plans and only doing two tiers (which i am glad now because i have a ton of cake leftover)

The little fondant heads were heavy so it made my icing sag a little on the edges, which was very painful to see after perfecting my cake for hours. But no one else seemed to notice. icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:44am
post #10 of 13

Awww, it turned out so cute!

adavis4 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:27am
post #11 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif thank you! i am/was so excited about it

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:19am
post #12 of 13

Very cute indeed!! Great job, I'm sure DS loved it! thumbs_up.gif