Mod Mom Baby Shower Cake-I'm Stuck

Decorating By csvess Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm by csvess

csvess Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 5

A friend of mine asked me to make a cake for a baby shower for this weekend. The theme is Mod Mom (you know the partyware with the pregnant mommy holding an umbrella?).

My plan was to ice the cake (10-in, round) in pink buttercream with white, light pink and dark pink circles and dots (fondant) all over it to match the umbrella. I made a gumpaste loopy bow for the top. My problem is that I miscalculated the size of the bow and I'm afraid it's entirely too big. It is pretty much the same size around as the cake.

I don't know what to do now. I don't know if I should just grit my teeth and use the gigantic bow anyway. I'd like to have an alternative idea for the top of the cake. Maybe I could just leave the bow off and pipe "Welcome Baby." But that seems so plain. I do have some royal icing white daisies and pink primroses mades up. I could arrange a couple of them around the wording for some added dimension.

I realize that I'm rambling. But that's what I do when I'm stressed. I'm home with my 4 yo and 2 yo right now. So I'm pretty much limited to what I have on hand and on my time as well.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

4 replies
cutthecake Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 5

I like the idea of the giant bow! And I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of cakes like that here on CC.

crisseyann Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

I'm liking the sound of the giant bow, too. icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 5

I just searched the galleries for "bow", and I saw quite a few cakes with large bows. Some as big as the cake, too!

csvess Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 5

Okay, you ladies are making feel a lot better. I'm thinking of adding some luster dust to the bow to "pretty it up" a little.

Thank you for your replies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%