Refrigerating Cake?

Decorating By jmabaxter Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 12:10am by cakedesigner59

jmabaxter Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 7

How long can I keep a finished cake in the refrigerator and it keep it's flavor and moistness. I have a party on Monday evening and I was going to finish the cake today since I won't have much time to do it over the weekend. Is this too long to keep it in the refrigerator?

6 replies
jmabaxter Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

grossoutqueen Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 7

I am glad you asked this question because I wondering the same thing too... Let's hope someone replies soon!

Audraj Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 7

I don't refrigerate cakes unless they have perishable fillings. Refrigeration does not maintain moistness - it actually dries out the cake. Keeping cake at room temp will allow the flavors to develop and prevent the cake from drying out (as long as it is iced)

bubblywhitewine Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 7

I'm glad you asked that question, I'd like to know the answer too.

jmabaxter Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 7

The frosting is perishable. That's why I need to keep it in the refrigerator. But I don't want it to dry out that's why I was wondering how long it would be safe to keep it in there and it still taste good.

cakedesigner59 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #7 of 7

I refrigerate all my cakes, and they are very moist. It keeps them safe (I have a separate cake fridge). Never heard of it drying it out, unless the cake is unfrosted. For weddings, I bake on Thurs and crumb coat...refrigerate until Friday. Then on Friday I ice and stack and decorate. Deliver on Saturday. So, your scenario is only one extra day, should be fine. Actually, I had one customer tell me that she was still eating my cake a week after I delivered it! I cringed, but she just raved that it was still delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%