Cake Boards

Decorating By Terri250 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm by jammjenks

Terri250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri250 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 8

Looking for ideas for covering cake boards.
I don't like the standard gold and silver foil that are available to me locally. Any pretty papers out there that won't absorb the grease? Any recommended suppliers? I appreciate any advice or recommendations. Thanks!!

7 replies
Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 8

HI,
When I am doing a more whimsical cake that doesn't go with the gold and silver fancifoil, I cover my cakeboard in a regular everyday wrapping paper that I think would go and then I cover that with contact paper ( I think some people call it shelf lining paper or Mactack ) that way the cake doesn't come into contact with anything that isn't food safe and I get something custom to what I would like. I can find the contact paper at my dollar store and it covers 2 or 3 boards in one roll!
Hope this helps
Shannie

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 8

Butcher paper works well with a ribbon around the base.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 8

I also use tissue paper and then food-grade cello on top. I get the cello at Michaels.

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

You should read the following link and then make your decision about using clear contact paper. There are many varying opinions on this and you should have the facts and make your own decision.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601707.html

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #6 of 8

Thank you nanahaley for the link! I had never tried using contact paper as a base covering and now I won't.

For Terri250, there are internet cake sites that sell different colors of the foil. I think that sugarcraft.com is one of them. princess.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 8

kandu001, I did use the clear contact paper to cover fabric on my cakeboard, but I made sure I had another cakeboard cut the size of my cake between my cake and the contact paper. I am also tired of using gold, silver and white and IMO the cakeboard makes a big statement in the overall presentation of the cake. Wilton used to make a pink and blue also. I wish they would bring it back.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 8

I use freezer paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%