How Can They Classify This As A Cake!???

Decorating By alicia_froedge Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm by sweettoothmom

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 7

I entered a baking contest at our local Oktoberfest yesterday. I was pleased with my 2nd place winning!!!!! But I was beat by a cheesecake. There were 2 catagories you could enter....cake or pies. Can anyone tell me why cheesecake is not a pie???

6 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 7

From wikipedia (since I'm too lazy to type my own definition--lol): A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough shell that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredients. Pies can be either "filled", where a dish is covered by pastry and the filling is placed on top of that, "top-crust," where the filling is placed in a dish and covered with a pastry/potato mash top before baking, or "two-crust," with the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell. Pies can be a variety of sizes, ranging from bite-size to ones designed for multiple servings.

Obviously cheesecake doesn't fit in that family. Now, obviously one COULD use a cheesecake batter as a pie filling, but a cheesecake in and of itself does not qualify as a pie.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 7

I wouldn't classify a cheesecake as a cake either. I think cheesecakes belong in a separate category, but if you compare the ingredients in a typical cake to those in a typical pie, you have to admit that a cheesecake shares more pie ingredients than cake ingredients. Like a pie, a cheesecake has a crust and a filling. Lots of pies share similar type cookie/graham crusts and similar ingredients for the fillings including the use of cream cheese and fruit.

The judges of the contest should have been more specific about their categories.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 7

.....I wouldn't classify a cheesecake as a cake either. I think cheesecakes belong in a separate category....judges of the contest should have been more specific about their categories.........

Totally agree ^^^^.

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 7

Like I said.... I'm not complaining at all over a 2nd place cake. There were a ton of other cakes that I competed against. I was just curious what others thought of the cheesecake classification.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 7

Since cheesecake is technically a custard, I feel it deserves an own category! Definately NOT a cake!

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 7

icon_surprised.gif Isnt a cheesecake technically a custard? So how is it a cake? I agree not pie and for sure not cake. But definately yummy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%