How Thick Are Your Nfsc?

Baking By Mickeebabe Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 6:17am by leahk

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:18am
post #1 of 17

How thick do you roll your dough for the No Fail Sugar Cookies? I know to use wooden dowels on the sides so I can get them the same thickness but what size dowels would work best?

Thanks.

Kimberly

16 replies
Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:33am
post #2 of 17

I have made this recipe where I have rolled it out in different thicknesses. And they tasted great every time. just adjust your baking time. Just choose your thickness based off of the project. if you you want a delicate cookie, roll thinner. if you want a stronger cookie to package or insert a stick, roll out thicker. just experiment. you'll figure it out.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:40am
post #3 of 17

I made some tonight, using 1/4" dowels. They are a good thickness for cookies that won't have sticks in them. When making cookie bouquets, I make them more like 3/8".

Mickeebabe Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 17

I want to make the NFSC but I don't want to make a full batch. Can I half the recipe? And will it still be just as good?

Thanks

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 17

I make the half recipe frequently, and it's fine.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 17

I roll mine no thinner than 1/4 more like 3/8. Halfing the recipe is fine, but I find it doesn't go very far (I guess I make big cookies) especially when you roll them thicker!

Stephanie

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 17

I roll mine at 1/4". They are perfect for me! I dont do the stick thing.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:13am
post #8 of 17

I do large cookies generally and roll at 3/8". I chill the cookies and then pop in the freezer for about 15 min. right before baking to try to reduce the spreading. I would love to go to 1/2", but the spreading is too much of an issue.

lizzyanne1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyanne1 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 17

I am right about 3/8s too. They also work great for me...and I never cook them too long so they stay extra soft. YUMMY!

Mickeebabe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 17

How long do you cook that thickness?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyanne1

I am right about 3/8s too. They also work great for me...and I never cook them too long so they stay extra soft. YUMMY!

lizzyanne1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyanne1 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 17

Only about 7 minutes, 8 tops. They cook through but don't brown. I think when they brown they lost their softness.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 17

I roll mine 3/8" and bake for 10 - 11 minutes. I like a weency bit of brown around the edges. Baking time depends on your oven. Is it a regular oven or convection? Is it properly calibrated? Best not to go by time -- go by color and touch.

If you halve the recipe cut the baking powder to 1 tsp -- not 1 1/2.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #13 of 17

3/8" and usually bake for 14 minutes. Otherwise they would be too soft (and not done the whole way through) to decorate. They are still soft. I have just a regular electric oven.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

I want to make the NFSC but I don't want to make a full batch. Can I half the recipe? And will it still be just as good?

Thanks

You can half the recipe- or just make the whole recipe, use as much as you want and then freeze the rest. Then you have dough ready for your next project!

Mickeebabe Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 17

Good idea. Do you know how long the dough might last in the freezer? How long does it take to thaw out?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahk

Quote:

Thanks

You can half the recipe- or just make the whole recipe, use as much as you want and then freeze the rest. Then you have dough ready for your next project!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:08am
post #16 of 17
Quote:

Good idea. Do you know how long the dough might last in the freezer? How long does it take to thaw out?

My recipe is almost identical and I won't freeze for longer than two months. How long it takes to thaw depends on how hot your house is. How thick you rolled it before putting it in the freezer. It really depends. You don't need to thaw it completely before rolling.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:17am
post #17 of 17

I have probably frozen it for a month or 2- not more.
Often I have put it the night before in the fridge no defrost. Or i just let it sit out on the counter for a bit. It is easier to roll out when cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%