Wilton Master Class

Decorating By jnestor Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 1:46am by kissmecakes2009

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:21am
post #1 of 4

Have any of you completed the 10 day Wilton Master Class that Wilton offers? What its like, do you recommend it? I am a WMI, and I've been wanting to take this, and I'm planning on going in March, and I was just curious.

Thanks!

3 replies
sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:15am
post #2 of 4

it's funny that you post this question I was about to write a post about the same thing. I am 18 and want to get into the cake world without spending tens of thousands on culinary school. let me know what you find out!

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:51am
post #3 of 4

I have not taken the Wilton Master Class, but I did go to school for pastry arts. For the degree 2 different decorating courses were required. Both classes were taught by an instructor who had previously worked for Wilton Industries (I live near the headquarters). Anyways, she often complained of the way Wilton taught things (although i'm not sure why) The first course was one semester and we covered all cake decorating techniques but fondant. The second course we covered fondant/sugarpaste, chocolate sculptures, and blown sugar sculptures. The classes weren't cheap, but from what I can see online neither are the Wilton classes.

You can get a degree without paying the culinary school prices. Many community colleges offer degrees or certificates in baking. I'd suggest putting your money towards something like that instead of a piece of paper from Wilton. I just think it is worth more. Just my opinion.

kissmecakes2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmecakes2009 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #4 of 4

I took the wilton master course in april this year and I absolutely loved every minute of it. It is very much worth every penny, especially if you haven't taken any other courses before. There were so many little things that you picked up on that you might not have known otherwise. I had taken local classes but my instructor was not very good and I basically relearned what I had been taught and the expert instructors at the wilton course were amazing and answered every question, made sure everyone in the class understood instructions and mastered every skill and technique.
It is a very exspensive trip but if you have the time and the money, it's definitely worth it! You have so much fun talking with the other students from around the world ( I was the only one in the entire class from the south, many of the students were from asia and other countries) and you have the option of taking extra classes or using the weekend to explore Chicago.
The facility is great, they supply you with everything you need and so much more. You take home a yearbook, a decorating book, sketchpads, and lots of tips, and tools and tons of extra royal icing flowers.

I personally felt that Wilton was the best way for me to go to recieve the extra training in cake decorating. I am also pursuing a pastry degree, but only because I feel it would be better for my future cake business to have the nice piece of paper. If you are looking for a cheaper way than a culinary school, the wilton masters and other classes taught there are the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%