Fondant Help

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 11:43am by JSuzieQ

Skidoochic Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 6

I tried to search for this, but I couldn't seem to get the function to work properly.

I have Wilton fondant and it is hard as a rock. Is there anyway to soften it so I can use it?

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #2 of 6

Try cutting off the really hard outter shell and hopefully it will be softer inside. Then put it in the microwave for just about 10 seconds (for the whole pkg) OR break off golf ball size pieces & try to work them. Once they get going somewhat you may try dipping it in egg white OR water - mixing that in well. This probably will be very messyicon_smile.gif If it gets too much for you or stays sticky, clean & dry your hands and start kneading again. You can also try mixing in some Crisco - just put some on your hands - you don't want much.

Skidoochic Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 6

Thank you.

I cut and cut and never found any soft stuff. I ended up opening a new package and I can't make it work. I am supposed to be making a woman but I just cannot get it to work. I am going to call the person I am doing the cake for and tell her I just can't do it. This has never happened before, but I figure it is better to be honest than to give her something she didn't order. I am really bummed. icon_cry.gif

I think after seeing all the cakes on here I got a little cocky. You guys make it look it so easy. icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #4 of 6

Don't give up yet... try working shortening into it. I've been able to bring some crusty dried up fondant back from the dead with crisco and elbow grease

JSuzieQ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:39am
post #5 of 6

I can't stand that store bought stuff... why don't you make your own! It's really not hard, it will just take a little time and a lot of 'elbow-grease'. I make marshmallow fondant and it is very stretchable and not too hard to color. There should be a recipe on here, but just from the top of my head I use one bag of mini marshmallows (name brands work a little better) and a 1 lb. bag of powdered sugar. First you microwave the marshmallows with a tbsp. of water until they are completely melted and then you add in the powered sugar. This is where the elbow-grease comes in... you will then have to start kneading the sugar into the marshmallows. I get my hands and wrists lathered with shortening along with the table surface and then I 'go to town'. You may need to add another tbsp. or two of water, but then you just knead it like you are playing with playdough. Once I have it all kneaded I cut it into smaller balls that are easy to store in zip-lock bags that I store in the refrigerator. Then you can take one of the smaller balls and color whatever color you need. Don't get discouraged... and have fun!

JSuzieQ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:43am
post #6 of 6

Also, if you still decide not to do the cake you were planning to do, I would still make the mmf so you know how to do it and are prepared the next time. Just think, what does one bag of marshmallows and one bag of powdered sugar cost... it won't break you and it would be good to practice with. I would practice coloring it too. If it turns out good, you can refrigerate it and use it some other time. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%