Can I Fill,crumb Coat & Freeze Cake.

Decorating By Limpy Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm by bettinashoe

Limpy Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #1 of 15

I have to make a wedding cake in a weeks time. Due to work & family commitments, time is stretched to the max. Can I bake the cakes, fill, crumb coat, wrap & then freeze? I would remove from the freezer two days prior,thaw & then cover with fondant? Is this doable or would the fillings (mango one layer, raspberry the other) make the cake soggy after freezing & then thawing?
Help please as time is a ticking.

14 replies
ceshell Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:19am
post #2 of 15

The fillings won't make the cake any more soggy than if you had iced the cake and put it in the fridge. If you are at all concerned, crumb coat the cake layers themselves before putting on the fruit fillings but my understanding is that would be an unnecessary step. Are the fruit fillings cooked "fillings" or just fresh fruit?

Limpy Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:13am
post #3 of 15

Both the mango & raspberry fillings are cooked fillings.

Janette Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:29am
post #4 of 15

I've never had a problem.

jessfmaldonado Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 15

I always, freeze, tort, fill, crumb coat, freeze! Always works for me, actually since I only use smbc it is the only way that will work for me. Or I refridgerate for final coat of SMBC.

Jessica icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 15

Yep, what they said, freeze away!

bettinashoe Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 15

I almost always torte, fill, crumb coat and freeze my cakes. They just seem to work out better that way, even if they are only frozen for a day or two.

auntiem26 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 15

This thread was interesting. How should caked be wrapped before frozen?

kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 15

Wrap your slightly warm cakes in plastic wrap - OR a food safe plastic bag. Some use two layers of plastic, others add one or 2 layers of foil over that. The longere it is in the fzr, the more layers you want to use.

bettinashoe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 15

I probably tend to over wrap, but I wrap twice in Saran wrap and then put the cake in a freezer safe baggie. I've kept mine in the freezer for up to 3 weeks with absolutely no problems at all. Normally I sit the crumb-coated cake in the freezer to get firm (about 1 hr or so) and then wrap it and put it back in the freezer.

Cakepro Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 15

You only need to allow a few hours for the cakes to thaw.

I just completed an order for 70 eight-inch round cakes that were all baked in advance, torted into three layers, filled and crumb-coated. I did all this a month ago and then on Wednesday and Thursday I iced/fondant/decorated them and delivered them on Friday. We had several left over so I served one at home last night and it was wonderful!

Wrap in plastic wrap and heavy duty foil.

bettinashoe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 15

My goodness, "70, 8-inch cakes," Cakepro, that's quite an order! Like I said, I tend to overwrap for fear of getting a freezer taste. I'll take you suggestion with one wrap of plastic and one of foil. My wrap/baggie bill is going to really go down because I'm buying the really big bags to hold the cakes. That's exciting news for me.

Limpy Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you everyone for your tips/replies. I baked the cakes yesterday,torted,filled & crumb coated. I put them in the freezer unwrapped last night & then this morning wrapped in freezer paper & then foil. I read in a book (wedding cakes you can make by Dede Wilson) to first freeze unwrapped so that the buttercream does not stick to the paper & then wrap. Sounds good to me. This has spread the making of the wedding cake out & I will do this in the future. I am going to remove from the freezer Thursday night, leave to thaw & then decorate with fondant on Friday. Thanks to all the great CC forum readers.

Cakepro Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 15

Yikes - depending on the thinness of your crumbcoat, you may have seriously dried the cakes out if you left them in the freezer unwrapped overnight. It only takes about 15 minutes for buttercream to chill hard.

On the 70 cakes that I torted, filled, crumbcoated and froze, I put plastic wrap directly on the freshly-iced cakes and when I removed the plastic wrap after the cakes were thawed, no icing stuck.

Just something to think about next time.

bettinashoe Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #15 of 15

I have to agree, freezing unwrapped overnight is a little frightening. I've never left one for over an hour. But since the cake was iced when you froze it you will probably not have any major issues. As Cakepro commented, I certainly wouldn't recommend you freeze an unwrapped cake that long at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%