Cake Batter

Decorating By SweetSyren Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm by Melissa0567

SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 21

Do most people on here make their cake batter from scrtch or use a boxed cake mix? Just wondering. icon_lol.gif

20 replies
kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 21

I use box but tweak it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 21

There's a good mixture of both. If you search the forum, you'll find literally hundreds of threads and posts on this topic. Some of them get pretty heated.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 21

This debate has been on going on this site since it came on lineicon_smile.gif
There are those who will *not* make a boxed cake if they had to icon_sad.gif
There are those of us who will *not* make a scratch cake if we had to! icon_smile.gif

For over 25 yrs I have used Betty Crocker. She knows best how to put together ingredients individuals cannot buy to make the best cake possible.
If it ain't broke........it don't need to be fixed!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #5 of 21

I am somewhere in the middle. Sometimes straight from box, sometimes scratch, mostly dr's mix. Whatever works is what I do.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:18am
post #6 of 21

Everything you ever wanted to know about the scratch vs. mix/doctored debates:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596517-.html

HTH

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:03am
post #7 of 21

I love box mixes with the extender recipe...but my most request is the WASC (except i don't use almond i just add more vanilla).

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:16am
post #8 of 21

Like most, I started w/box but was quickly converted to Scratch. icon_wink.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:43am
post #9 of 21

I am a Scratcher from necessity actually...I know I'd do more half & half if there were cake mixes available here. I miss Lemon cake mix cakes...making them from scratch is a lotta work!

Though I have to admit, when I don't make frosting or cakes from scratch I feel like I'm cheating somehow.

Sometimes using a recipe makes me feel guilty, since my mom can throw together biscuits, cakes, cobblers, bread from scratch, without needing recipes. She is awesome with that stuff!

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:07am
post #10 of 21

I tried a box mix for the first time a few weeks ago, it was Betty crocker devils food cake. mmmmmmmm so tasty, i made them into cupcakes and they were all perfect.

I've tried looking for other Betty crocker flavours and also Duncan hines but they seem non existent here in the UK. I've looked on the internet and ebay but they are really expensive, around £3.50 ($7.00 approx) icon_sad.gif and thats without postage. I want to try french vanilla nooooow icon_mad.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:27am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum

I tried a box mix for the first time a few weeks ago, it was Betty crocker devils food cake. mmmmmmmm so tasty, i made them into cupcakes and they were all perfect.

I've tried looking for other Betty crocker flavours and also Duncan hines but they seem non existent here in the UK. I've looked on the internet and ebay but they are really expensive, around £3.50 ($7.00 approx) icon_sad.gif and thats without postage. I want to try french vanilla nooooow icon_mad.gif

That's awful. When DH goes on sale here it's only $1.

I am big on everything being homemade even my pancakes. But, when it comes to cake I just think the box is just fine. I love DH but it is too moist when I do large wedding cakes. That's when I usually use BC it comes out a bit dryer.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:43am
post #12 of 21

Boxed mixes are great in a pinch for rush jobs, with a little magic added of course. But to me there is no substitute for a good scratch cake.

Some flavors you just can't get in a box. For example, a tasting I had the bride requested French Vanilla, Red Velvet and Pumpkin Spice (Christmas wedding). I have yet to find Red Velvet or Pumpkin Spice in a box up here. And I love making them from scratch. I know it's silly, but I feel like I put more 'love' into them.

Have a great day and this was a great question. I see it's a split decision on the poll so far.

Best,
Karen

Magnum Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:25am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum

That's awful. When DH goes on sale here it's only $1.

I am big on everything being homemade even my pancakes. But, when it comes to cake I just think the box is just fine. I love DH but it is too moist when I do large wedding cakes. That's when I usually use BC it comes out a bit dryer.

$1??? nooooo lol.

For some reason, i just thought box mixes were dry but i was so impressed when i tried Betty crocker. I do love baking from scratch because thas what i was taught by my mom but i'll definatly try more box mixes in the future icon_smile.gif

Magnum Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:28am
post #14 of 21

Eisskween

I agree with what you said about feeling like you put more love into making a cake from scratch. On the other hand, decorating a cake ALL day on my only day off is enough love lol icon_smile.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:09pm
post #15 of 21

I am definitely a scratch girl. I really tried one time to do a doctored mix, I couldn't take it. Everyone liked it, but my family and I were so grossed out! There is such a HUGE difference. I can tell right away a box mix cake from a scratch cake. I guess I am part of the cake snob crew. Not meaning to be icon_redface.gif !

Jessica icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 21

I only bake from scratch. I'm not a big cake eater to begin with, so I can taste when a cake is made from a mix. Not to say some of them aren't downright tasty, but I can definitely taste the difference and scratch is my preference... besides, I have to justify my $36k in student loans for culinary school somehow! LMAO

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:08pm
post #17 of 21

I am only scratch. As a matter of fact, the only time I can recall using a boxed mix was when I tried WASC, and I've already converted that into a scratch cake. I enjoy baking, I've been doing it much longer than decorating, and its my time to do something well and relax.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:15pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I am only scratch. As a matter of fact, the only time I can recall using a boxed mix was when I tried WASC, and I've already converted that into a scratch cake. I enjoy baking, I've been doing it much longer than decorating, and its my time to do something well and relax.

Same here

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:15pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:

I am only scratch. As a matter of fact, the only time I can recall using a boxed mix was when I tried WASC, and I've already converted that into a scratch cake.

Would you share that recipe... *pretty please* icon_smile.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:

I am only scratch. As a matter of fact, the only time I can recall using a boxed mix was when I tried WASC, and I've already converted that into a scratch cake.

Would you share that recipe... *pretty please* icon_smile.gif

Ohhhh I second that!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm
post #21 of 21

I'm a scratch girl, love the taste and texture of scratch but will use a dr. boxed mixed sometimes.
Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%