Consistancy Of Rice Cereal Treats For Decorating?

Decorating By cakecastle Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 1:23am by cakecastle

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 7

Do you just make the recipe according to the directions on the cereal box or is there another recipe that is "stiffer" to use for decorating. Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 7

there are a number of threads on using RKT so if you do search you'll get some really good info. Honestly because I hate the cleanup, I used pre-made ones. they're a little stiffer than homemade and if you want to soften them up you can pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, but I just needed them a little as is and they worked great.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 7

If you are looking to using them to sculpt or mold something don't use the butter/margarine it calls for in the recipe. It makes the RKT too soft to harden.
Hope it helps
shannie

cakecastle Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #4 of 7

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I'm looking to mold a shape and then cover with MMF. So just leave out the butter and follow the rest of the recipe, correct?

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #5 of 7

I think you still need to use the butter, just not as much. I saw it on another thread. I'm using for the first time this weekend to make the pineapple house of sponge bob out of RKT. Wish me luck!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 7

I have used RKT many times and I use the org. recipe after I make them I put them in a large baggy and if I want them stiffer I just reheat them in the plastic baggy and they get stiffer for molding I find them easy to work with after they are cooled when using the org. recipe

Molly

cakecastle Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #7 of 7

Thanks!

Good luck mariela_ms!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%