Can I Do This? Mix Dh And Bc In One Pan

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 12:30am by kakeladi

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a lingerie cake carved out of a 9x13 and small bowls for the boobs. I want to make sure my 9x13 is tall enough, so I don't want to take batter out of it to make the boobs. I was thinking I should make 2 mixes and just make an extra 6" cake for someone else as a thank-you. I have a chocolate Duncan Hines and a yellow Betty Crocker. I originally thought I'd do a yellow 9x13 and chocolate boobs and 6" pans. But then i thought, why not make the 9x13 both chocolate and yellow? So the question is, can I bake two different brand mixes in the same cake pan? (I've done the 2 flavors in a 12x18, so I know that will work, but just didn't know if using different brands would have a negative effect.) I'm still experimenting with which cake mix brand I like better, so that's why I have 2 different brands. Has anyone done this?

Or should I scrap the idea of doing 2 flavors, and just do an extender recipe on one box?

Thanks!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 4

To answer your ? sure you can do it. But.....
I feel my *original* WASC recipe is perfect for the 9x13. Then do the other cake for the rest of the pans.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 4

Kakeladi, after searching, I finally found your original recipe. One question, though, about WASC. Does it have a big almond taste, or is it subtle? I use almond flavoring in my buttercream, so I don't want too much almond flavor. Also, I'm using a yellow cake mix. I saw on this post that you can use other extracts. Could I just use 2 tsp of vanilla instead?

Thanks!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #4 of 4

Flavoring is totally a personal choice of what you think tastes good!
Use as much or as little as you want.
Combine any ones you think will go together well.
This is what I prefere to use:
1 part vanilla
1/2 part butter flavor
1/4 part almond extract
A 'part' is any measure you want to use: teaspoon, Tablespoon, cut, quart, OR whatevericon_smile.gif
Yes, if you prefere you can use just vnailla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%