Help With Baby Shower Halloween Cake

Decorating By JLG Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm by JLG

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a baby shower cake that has a Halloween theme. I've gotten the one's in charge to go for a cutsie cake rather than gorey - which is GOOD!

My question - has anyone used the Wilton Candy Melts and made candy molds and then put them on a Buttercream cake? Would this hold up?

My thought was to make a pumpkin patch cake with a baby popping out of the patch. I'm not good with figure making, so I'm using the Wilton Baby Topper. I thought I could also use some candy pumpkins and cats as decorations on the sides of the cake.

Thanks!
Janet

4 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 5

It's funny you posted this I have been asking almost the same question I too am planning on making a pumpkin cake with a baby popping out my cake is for a First birthday I was asked to make a pumpkin patch theme cake. You can use the chocolate melts or fondant would work also Are you planning a sheet cake or a tiered cake?

Molly2

JLG Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 5

I'm looking at a sheet cake. It's for 25 -30 people. I thought about doing the round ball as a pumpkin and then having the baby pop out of there, but then I'll need to do the supports, and use pound cake for the pumpkin....So, what I'm doing is having the baby 'pop' out of the middle of the cake and I'm putting pumpkins and leaves and grass around him. I might try to make a pumpkin hat to put on top of his head.

The cake itself, the base frosting and the leaves,etc will be in buttercream. I'm unsure if I'm using buttercream to make pumpkins or using candy melts. I'm not found of fondant as far as tasting, but I like how easy it would be to make the pumpkins out of fondant. That's been my dilema - what to use for the pumpkins. That's when I found I have a bunch of halloween candy molds so I thought if I made some of those, I could add those onto the cake in a 2-D type of format. I wasn't sure how the candy would hold up on top of the buttercream.

Janet

JLG Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 5

I'm looking at a sheet cake. It's for 25 -30 people. I thought about doing the round ball as a pumpkin and then having the baby pop out of there, but then I'll need to do the supports, and use pound cake for the pumpkin....So, what I'm doing is having the baby 'pop' out of the middle of the cake and I'm putting pumpkins and leaves and grass around him. I might try to make a pumpkin hat to put on top of his head.

The cake itself, the base frosting and the leaves,etc will be in buttercream. I'm unsure if I'm using buttercream to make pumpkins or using candy melts. I'm not found of fondant as far as tasting, but I like how easy it would be to make the pumpkins out of fondant. That's been my dilema - what to use for the pumpkins. That's when I found I have a bunch of halloween candy molds so I thought if I made some of those, I could add those onto the cake in a 2-D type of format. I wasn't sure how the candy would hold up on top of the buttercream.

Janet

JLG Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 5

Janet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%