Any Idea What Color Of Purple This Is? Can't Figure It Out!

Baking By TracyLH Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 1:54am by TracyLH

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 14

I am racking my brain on this one and need some help from the cookie gurus! I am trying unsucessfully to get a good purple mixed for some flowers for a get well assortment. Everything I am trying is either too drab or too dark in tone. Does anyone know what color was used in this bat cookie? This is the purple I am trying to go for:

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1270635

I have tried Wilton Violet, Americolor Regal Purple and Americolor Electric Purple with no luck. I am looking for a bright purple. I did try to PM the cookie artist, but no luck. Any help would be much appreciated as I am trying to do a good job as this woman had brain surgery and a drab purple won't cut it.

Thanks for any help!
Tracy

13 replies
cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 14

That color looks very similiar to the purple I used on my stenciled heart cookies in my gallery.

I used the Americolor Regal purple in drops till I got the right shade. It also sat overnight. I remember being afraid that it would be too purple.

What icing do you use? I use Antonia's icing. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Have you tried combining the Regal and Electric?

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cookiemookie

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 14

Try light blue with a touch of purple. Also invest in a color wheel. I bought one when I had to do fondant in eggplant purple for a wedding. I bought mine in the art dept. of a hobby store and it stays with all of my cake decorating stuff.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #4 of 14

I would try a medium shade of navy blue with some purple added. I made this color once by accident. I wanted a bluish purple and ended up with a purplish blue.

TracyLH Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks so much for the tips Ladies! Much appreciated!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 14

Try Americolor Purple with a drop of yellow.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 14

Try making your own, mix 1 part blue to two parts red for a bright purple, but start out with a little at a time and stop when it is slightly lighter than the shade you are going for(it will darken, but I'm sure I'm telling you something you already know!)

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 14

You may want to give Wiltons delphinium blue with a small amount of purple a try-- the delphinium blue has a purple-ish tint to it and seems to come out brighter, but not neon.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 14

Did you try to PM omcdfour ? They are her cookies, and her color..... I'm sure she would tell you what she used.........everyone is so nice about that stuff on the board....

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 14

I would use a drop of violet plus a drop of royal blue.

TracyLH Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 14

Oh, you all are great! I will play with these ideas for the flower cookies I am doing now and will really use this knowledge when I do my guitar cookies next month for a little girl who loves purple.

Grama_i - I did try to PM omcdfour twice, but I didn't hear back, so I am not sure she got it. Still hoping to hear from her though when she has a chance.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 14

Something to keep in mind...even if you find out exactly what color was used, it may not end up being what you're after, depending on how it photographed. The color you want is definitely on the blue side of purple. The Americolor purple will be too pink for what you're looking for, so I'd start adding some blue.

TracyLH Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 14

Good points GeminiRJ! Photography can make a difference and I do see what you are saying that it is more on the blue side. Thanks!

TracyLH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #14 of 14

Update - In case anyone stumbles across this posting, Omcdfour got back to me and told me that it was Wilton Violet and she let it sit overnight to darken. Thanks, Omcdfour!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%