Help! Ganache Problem!

Decorating By hallfamily727 Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm by KoryAK

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, I made a white chocolate ganache for a cake filling this morning. Used white choc that I cut into chunks, heated the cream on the stove to a slow boil, poured it over the chocolate, let it sit til melted. Then I added the 1 tsp. rum flavoring and whisked til throughly combined. Covered...stuck in fridge to chill. IT'S STILL LIQUID!! Now, I know I have to rewhip it before I use it, so is this when it thickens up or is something wrong?!? HELP!!

9 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 10

how much cream and how much chocolate? It should thicken when cooled but white chocolate is very finicky.

hallfamily727 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 10

A quart of cream an a lb of choc

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 10

usually the chocolate to cream ratio is the same - 8oz chocolate to 8 oz cream - you hade 16oz chocolate to 32 oz cream. Not sure if reheating and adding more chocolate is an option that will work. Sorry.

Best of luck!

dulcefactoria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcefactoria Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 10

Hi,

Cupcakemkr is right: the same proportion for chocolate and cream.

When I do ganache I heat the cream with sugar to a slow boil, poured it over the melted chocolate and butter. The butter gives a creamy and thicken texture to ganache.

I don't know "english measures" so I'll give in "spanish measures"

1 kg chocolate
1kg cream
150 graims of butter
100 graims of sugar

Sorry for my english icon_razz.gif

hallfamily727 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 10

Ok, I just added 2 more oz of white choc to it and it's not helping. So...can I add almond bark? Or would that ruin the whole thing? I need to try to salvage it b/c I don't have time to run to the store again!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:22am
post #7 of 10

Did you want to use it as a "poured topping"? If not you could whip it and use it as a frosting/filling, it's delicious.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 10

white chocolate ganache is nearly double the amount of chocolate to cream
White chocolate use nearly double the chocolate to cream
240 ml cream
455 g white chocolate
(1 cup cream to 1 lb chocolate)
I never whip my ganache...but if you were making it solely to be whipped you could cut down a bit on the ratio...but remember white choc is much different than dark choc. here's my recipe
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-0-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 10

When I make ganache I take the cream off of the stove right before it starts to boil. I'd say start over and try again. Good luck!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah, 1# cream and chocolate is good for dark chocolate... but you need more chocolate for milk choc and even more for white choc. If its cold, that's as firm as its gonna get. You can add almond bark and that won't kill it, just change the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%