Is This "tacky" To Do?

Decorating By keonicakes Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 12:36am by kate_c

keonicakes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 23

So, my mom wants to have a baby shower for me in a couple of months and she insists that I make the cake because she doesn't want what the stores around here have to offer. I don't mind doing it at all, I just was "on the fence" as to if that is tacky to do my own shower cake. When people ask, who made it? I think I would be embarrassed to say that I did.

22 replies
sari66 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 23

Why would it be tacky? You may get orders from it.

darandon Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 23

I'd much rather make my own cake than leave it up to someone else.

mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 23

Feel Flattered and do your own cake. Your mom thinks that you are the best and she wants the BEST for you!!! Besides, that way, you will get exactly what you want.

I'd say GO FOR IT! thumbs_up.gif

mlwideman Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 23

I made my own baby shower cake a few years ago. I knew it would taste better than anything bought and I would get exactly what I wanted (as far as the design). As a matter of fact, I make my birthday cakes every year as well. LOL!

lkoenig07 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 23

No, that's not tacky at all!

indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 23

When poeple ask who made it, you say loud and clear you made it. If they look shocked or surprised, just laugh and say, "you didnt' think I wanted a crappy grocery store cake for MY shower, did you?" icon_lol.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 23

its not tacky. I make my birthday cake everyyear too.. plus my families. They EXPECT me to not want a grocery store cake. lol. Which is fine cause I love doing it icon_smile.gif

And you might get orders from it!!!

I made a friends birthday cake for her party (made it extra special) cause I knew there would be tons of people (about 40) and I got 4 people wanting me to make em a cake PLUS a wedding cake icon_smile.gif

whimsette Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 23

It's not tacky at all and you have zero reason to be embarrassed. I'll be making my own shower cake, too, and am happy to do it.

keonicakes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 23

Thanks, all. Makes me feel a lot less uneasy about it.

SugarFrosted Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 23

Some brides make their own wedding cake, why shouldn't you make your own baby shower cake, IF you want to do it? It's not tacky, and at least it will be what you want it to be that way.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #12 of 23

Ok I agree it's not exactly tacky but I see why you might feel uneasy because it's not really cool either. I mean people are wanting to honor you with a special blessing in the form of a celebration of the new life inside you. They need to hire someone else to make the party goodies I think. You are the honoree not the vendor. Y'know? I would feel awkward.

Don't hate me 'cause I'm just being carefully honest. I'd just tell Mom she needs to get a cute cake somewhere else. Or not serve cake--serve other desserts & stuff and she should just say, "My daughter makes such great cakes I couldn't bear having anybody else's so we're gonna have cheesecake mini's and beer or something..." icon_lol.gif

janelwaters Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:06am
post #13 of 23

where in Florida are you?

My mom asked me to do my baby shower cake, but I was only on my first wilton course at the time and what I wanted far exceeded my ability! So I had my wilton instructor make it for me and it was PERFECT!!

ceshell Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:54am
post #14 of 23

While I agree with k8memphis in theory--that this is a shower to honor you and your baby, and you are the Guest of Honor and shouldn't have to work your own shower (lol)--for me I enjoy decorating so much, it actually would be an honor for me to make my own cake. I would be so touched if someone asked me to do it rather than just ordering my cake from Costco. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it even more if they ordered me a really nice cake from my favorite bakery, but that isn't always in the cards. Homemade is nice too, I don't care how it's decorated, if someone made it with love.

If you love decorating (i.e. it's not a chore) I say, go for it. Too bad your mom asked you and didn't send a shill to order a cake from you. I've read threads where that was done: they had someone else--unknown third party-- order the cake from the decorator (fully paid of course!) and then surprised the decorator with her own cake icon_lol.gif .

JSuzieQ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 23

I don't see anything wrong with you making the cake IF you want to! I am assuming that most everyone you know that will be coming to the shower knows your talent of making, who cares! I would say that people would rather the cake taste great being that it is specially made rather than the 'mediocre' store bought cakes. Also, this could help you build your business.

In saying all of this... if you don't want the stress or pressure of making it, tell your mom and have her find someone else. It is in your HONOR, so you should have the say so. icon_wink.gif

PinkZiab Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 23

It's definitely NOT tacky. That said, I wouldn't want to do it for myself, because, well, it's my party dammit, I want someone else to do it for me! lol I will never make my own birthday cake, or anything of the sort. But, this is just me, and if you are happy to do your own cake, then go for it!

funcakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #17 of 23

I think you would be the best judge of this, after all "tacky" is a view point that differs greatly from one generation to the next, and from one location to the next and from one social group to the next. Here it is considered really "tacky" to have a baby shower for second babies, but I know it is the custom in other places. In my generation it was tacky in the extreme for a mother to host a shower for her daughter, but today it is the expectation and is done all the time. You know your guests, they are your closest friends they will not be judging or gossiping about anything being tacky (oh, okay some of the inlaws might-but after all that's their JOB!) If you want to make the cake, do it. The main rule in hosting parties is to make sure everyone is comfortable and having a good time. I can not see how making your own cake would make any guest uncomfortable.

kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #18 of 23

It's not tacky at all! People make their own cakes for many different events..weddings, birthdays, baby showers too! You'll know that it's something that you like! Congrats! princess.gif

CakeChica Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #19 of 23

I would be glad to to my own shower cake. I just wouldn't trust anyone else doing it and you can do exactly what you want. I would be upset if I got a shower cake that was bad, and more so because I could have done better.

kandu001 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:43pm
post #20 of 23

I agree with you Cake Chica! I wanted to do my own cake for my wedding, but (and I hate to sound like a baby, but..) my mom wouldn't let me. She said I would have way too much to do and be too stressed out. She was right, but I still wanted to do it! More power to those who can handle it!! princess.gif

CNCS Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #21 of 23

I'd rather make my own.

liapsim Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:50pm
post #22 of 23

As long as you don't feel offended by it...then go for it!

kate_c Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #23 of 23

Just putting in my 2c worth... I agree, not tacky at all.. But I do understand how you feel. The problem seems to be more a case of how to tell the GUESTS you made it without seeming, oh, i dunno, conceited for making it where you're the guest of honour? So, if you WANT to make it, and have a cool idea, you could tell them that you had an idea for a shower cake and wat better place to trial a new cake than your own event? Sounds a little different to just saying straight out "I made it. full stop"....

Quote by @%username% on %date%