I Just Cant Make Choc. Bc :o(

Baking By JessDesserts Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 3:21am by TexasSugar

JessDesserts Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 5

I will have to admit, I am not a fan of chocolate buttercream.

With that said, I will now have to admit, its probably because I cant make it and i'm never happy with the results!

I have my Wilton Course 2 final cake due tonight and im devistated the way my cake turned out last night.

I am not one to be a "sheeple" and make the cakes like the pics in the books and like everyone elses. I usually strive to be as different as possible. I had this great idea for chocolate instead of vanilla BC and I hate it and i dont want to go to class tonight because im embarrassed it already looks gross!
OK, OK, enough woe is me-ing.....

Does anyone have a GREAT recipe for a smooth, yummy, relatively easy chocolate BC? AND/or any tips for how to make it come out fabulous?

Either cocoa powder or melted chocolate I will work with anything that will make a FABULOUS end result!

thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help me! ! ! !

Jess

4 replies
tippyad Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 5

Here is my recipe:

1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup cocoa powder (packed)
1/2 cup milk
1# confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon meringue powder
1 Tablespoon white corn syrup
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Cream shortening and butter; blend cocoa in, add milk slowly, blending well; add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed for about 5 minutes.

Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally during entire mixing time.

This crusts really well after about 15-20 minutes.

It makes a dark chocolate color. See my photos for color.

Tip-make sure the shortening, butter, cocoa and milk are blended extremely well. This way you won't have any lumps. Also I use store brand shortening. It has trans fats which I think helps the icing to stay in place once applied to the cake.

Good luck!

Jayde Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2224-Double-Chocolate-Buttercream-Icing.html

This is the one that I use with a couple of my own variations. Its pretty good, all the children LOVE it!

SeriousCakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:21am
post #4 of 5

I love making choc bc ever since I stopped using cocoa powder, I tend to get an explosion of cocoa everywhere (no matter how slowly I add). So now I make it like this:

but I'll add 6 oz. of unsweetened chocolate that's been melted and cooled to room temp, I add that just before the sugar. You can take a peek at my pics to see how this works for me, I love it!!

TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 5

My favorite chocolate icing is just my regular bc with Hersey's Special Dark Cocoa and a little extra liquid added. I love the color and the rich taste the Hearsey's Special Dark Cocoa gives.

I make my bc, basicly Wilton's class recipes doubled with extra amounts of flavor in it, then I will added in the sifted Hersey's Cocoa until I get the color and taste I want. Usually between 3/4 and 1 cup. Then I will add extra water to get it to the consitancy that I need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%