Bad Car Day For Us

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so my dh and I have two cars, both on the older side, both with higher miles on them. The car I drive is a 2000 with 150000 miles on it .. I drive it maybe once a week if that ... my dh drives a 95 grand am we bought from my db two years ago ... it has 152000 miles on it ... the car I drive needs work done to it, we have the parts in our house that we ordered online, but haven't had anyone actually do the work yet .. so my dh goes out to start the grand am today to go to work .. it turns over, but wont actually stay running .. I said .. do you think its the battery, he doesnt think so, thinks its more in the fuel system, although we JUST replaced the fuel pump and filter not even a year ago ... so he takes my car to work ... I say, be careful I drove it yesterday and seemed to want to stall out on me when I was at the lights ... ok no problem.. makes it to work, gets ready to go out to lunch, the car won't start. Doesn't even turn over .. can you believe it?? Two cars on the same day?? Is that our luck or what? We have been eyeing some newer used cars, but they all seem so high in miles for what we are comfortable spending. We could get a new car with our credit no problem, but I am not comfortable making payments especially in this economy. I have no idea what to do now. Just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

8 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 9

icon_sad.gif Car problems stink!!! I don't balme you for not wanting to make payments on something right now, you just don't know what is going to happen next. Maybe they will both turn out to be nothing too major!!

thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 9

thanks .... turns out he was able to jump start the car at work, but once it turned off it wouldn't restart, so needs a new battery, but no sense in buying new battery until other car problems are taken care of because it has a lot to do with the alternator and ac compressor or something so its just draining the battery ... sigh ... car problems definitely stink!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 9

My car has just shy of 200,00 miles on it, and is still going strong! At this point, I want to see how many miles I can get out of the thing. I figure, as long as the car is safe to ride in, it's cheaper to fix a problem than pay payments for 5 years. If I got into a wreck, though, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

TheCakerator Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 9

I know our cars could get a lot more miles on them .. its ok with me to fix little things here and there cause I would rather do that then make payments to, but we have never had both cars die on the same day on us before .. it kinda makes it rough ... hopefully they are cheap fixes and easy ones at that so by this weekend we are both back in business.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:19am
post #6 of 9

With my previous car, a Tempo, there was no end to the repairs. With my current car, a 1995 Saturn.....we've had it a year and a half, and had to change out a spark plug last week. Other than that, it gets 54 mpg average city and highway.

I LOVE my little Saturn! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

PS. It has 257,000 km

TheCakerator Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 9

thats great kris ... as of right now my car is in worse shape then what it was in at lunch break yesterday as my dh tried to start it one more time to come home and it made a loud clanking noise and then nothing ... his car is sitting in the driveway with the hood up while he dinkers around with it before his co worker comes and picks him up for work today ... what a mess!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 9

I hope it gets better! Being carless is a helpless feeling for me!

TheCakerator Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 9

thanks michelle ...I don't mind not having a car because I don't work outside the home and I rarely ever go anywhere by myself. I feel bad for my dh because he loves to drive and feels trapped if he can't just get in his car and go wherever whenever. He dinked around with his car this morning and took off some part that controls the air flow into the engine and is thinking that is the problem. He is hoping to be able to go to a junk yard and grab one off another car for cheap $$$. We will see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%