How Do I Substitute Lorann Flavors? (Strawberry)

Decorating By MeMo07 Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm by MeMo07

MeMo07 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 5

My sisters birthday is this weekend, and I need to make strawberry buttercream. (She actually told me she wanted canned icing, but I said no way icon_wink.gif ) LOL.

I bought the LorAnn strawberry flavoring. How do I substitute it in my regular buttercream recipe? Do I use the regular amount of vanilla and butter extracts and then add a few drops of this? Or decrease the vanilla and butter and add mostly this?

Please help. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 5

You can do it either way. Depends on how strong you want the strawberry to taste.
Flavoring in cakes & icing can be totally up to the tastericon_smile.gif It can be as strong or weak as you like; as many different flavors as wanted.

Yrs ago someone told me always use 3 flavorings that way no one will be able to tell what you used or what it is they like so well.
Many flavors blend well together so don't be afraid to use them however y ou want.

MeMo07 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the help- what about with the WASC? With a strawberry cake mix, should I still put in the vanilla and sub out the almond with a few drops of this?

mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 5

With the WASC cake, I would divide it into parts. The oils are VERY strong, so I would put part Vanilla (or Almond - I usually use both) and small part oil.

However, the the MIGHTY (always providing perfect responses! icon_biggrin.gif ) Kakeladi stated it is all a matter of preference. Add the oil first, and taste a little batter (if you do that kinda thing, I love batter of all kinds) It will taste different baked, but at least you can sorta tell whether you need some more strawberry. If so, add it and add the rest of the flavorings if desired.

Happy Baking!

MeMo07 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! icon_smile.gif (It's for my sister, so I'll stick my fingers in it as much as I want- she always sticks her fingers in MY cake batter....I'm not the biggest fan of strawberry cake usually, so we'll see how this is.... icon_wink.gif LOL)

Quote by @%username% on %date%