Gelatin Butterflies?

Decorating By Eisskween Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 11:29am by Tona

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a fabulous day so far! icon_biggrin.gif

Please, I was wondering if anyone knew of any website or could give me any instrution on making something called a gelatin butterfly? icon_confused.gif

I have seen them mentioned and seen pictures of them and think they are lovely and would make a great addition to flowered cakes. thumbs_up.gif

Any insight into this would be greatly appreaciated!

Thank you very much and have an enjoyable day!

Karen

5 replies
2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 6

I just purchased something called Gelatin veining sheets from Sugarcraft. I have no idea exactly what it is but the butterflies looked really cool. icon_cool.gif I am scheduled to receive my shipment tomorrow and hopefully I'll get to "play" this weekend. So.... I'll let you know how it goes!

Chae

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 6

sounds to me like you might be describing gelatin flowers, where you take the wire and shape it and then dip it in gelatin of your prefferred colors

check this out, is it like these????

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-189845-gelatin.html#189845

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:23am
post #4 of 6

Have you seen the gelatin butterflies made by bobwonderbuns . . . here is a link for a peek and the instructions she shared in another thread . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

The recipe is basically 1 Tbsp unflavored gelatin (like Knox) with 2 1/2 Tbsp water. Let bloom for 5 minutes, nuke for 10 seconds and add a drop (and I do mean A DROP) of color. Paint onto the veining sheets and let dry. They peel off by themselves. Then go ahead and trim with scissors and use piping gel and to embellish. The veining sheets I bought from Michaelle Stidham and Diane Simmons. They are a plastic sheet with slight impressions of butterflies to give it a slightly veined look. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1265096

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:27am
post #5 of 6

I have made the butterflies this way in the past.Use 2 TBSP water & 1 TBSP gelatin. Mix.Let set. Heat in microwave for a few seconds (maybe 10) until liquid. Colour. Use paintbrush & paint butterfly on rice paper. I got pictures of butterflies from a childrens colouring book from a dollar store. Put the rice paper on top of the picture (you can see through the rice paper) , then paint. Use different colours. Carefully cut out when almost dry. Let dry in a flower former or egg carton to form the folded wings. Leave to dry for 4-6 hours. Advantage is that you can eat the butterflies as rice paper is edible. Hope this helps

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:29am
post #6 of 6

I have also made geletin butterflies they are so pretty and really easy to do. But you need the veiners for this to work you can get them online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%