What Can I Use A Silpat For?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm by tammy712

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 19

I got one at OSSAS last weekend. Are they just to work sugar?

18 replies
jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 19

i got one for baking a few years ago and i hate it. i tried using it to bake some really sticky cookies and all it did was burn the sugar to the silpat and i can't get it off. i don't use it anymore - give me parchment any day!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 19

I roll out my cookie dough on my Silpat. I cut out the cookie shapes and remove the scraps. i then transfer my Silpat onto a cookie sheet, and bake. I never have to move my cookies after cutting.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 19

No, to line your sheet pans for baking. I use mine under cookies. Also for sugar work of course.

DO NOT CUT them. They are silicone with glass fibers. If you read the fine print on the package it will tell you not to cut them.

I store mine on the sheet pan in the pantry so it's always where I need it. In fact I have four of them!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 19

Are you kidding?? Wat can't you ise it for?? DO you use fondant or gum paste? You can roll it out there and do all your little details-its a great work surface, it is the first thing I get out when I start to play icon_smile.gif !! YOU ARE GONNA LOVE IT!

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 19

i'm surprised about the mixed reviews....jescapades maybe you arent using it correctly?
i love my silpats and generic silicone mats- you can do everything with them- they are great for making tuiletype cookies or garnishes...
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/tuile-leaves
i absolutely LOVE my silpat for this! it makes for a very pretty display if you do very large sized ones, and use them as icecream dishes, mousse etc..
for rolling out fondant to cover a larger sized tier, it is also a lifesaver..the video christine has on her website http://www.thecakewheel.com/demo.html
shows how you would go about this, but doesnt actally execute it..i'm sure there is a FN video with someone doing this- i've seen pastrychefs do it on tv all the time.
I also like to cut gumpaste on them (NOT WITH A CRAFT KNIFE THOUGH!!! only with cutters, you CANNOT cut directly on a silpat or silicone mat- this will ruin it!)
pretty much the sky is the limit.
the silpat brnad mats though, do start to break down eventually (i have found..but that is possibly due to inproper care as well)

ps, does anyone have the cake wheel?? it looks like quite the tool to have..but i just dont have room to store all of the neat and innovative gadgets.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 19

I also use mine to roll fondant, and to roll any kind of dough - to make cookies or for pies. I love my silpats! I have 5, and 1 generic brand silicone mat.

The cake wheel looks great - I just need a sponsor for all the cool cake toys I see, and for a new kitchen so I have where to put it!!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 19

I use mine for sugar work. I also really like frozen taquitos. The problem with the taquitos is that the cheese would ooze out and glue the taquitos to my cookie sheets, until I started using my Silpat under them. Now I can just pick up the taquitos, then roll up the cheese ooze and have a tasty treat just for me, LOL, since no one else is usually around when I'm plating up the food.

Deanna

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 19

I'm shocked to hear that cookies stuck and burned on a Silpat! I wonder if there was something wrong with that particular mat.

I use mine every day for rolling and kneading fondant and gumpaste. I never use knives or cutters on it, tho. I transfer my fondant to a piece of wax paper and do my cutting there.

As others have said, it's great for tuile type cookies because they SHOULDN'T stick. icon_smile.gif I love it for making parmesan wafers, too.

I do all my poured sugar work over a large Silpat that catches all the drips and strings. When I'm ready to pour out my excess sugar mixture, I just pour it onto the Silpat. It pops right off.

The small ones are great for melting hard candies in the microwave. You can just slide your hands underneath and fold the Silpat over to knead the candy without burning yourself.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 19

I agree with everyone what don't you use for it? I have 3 that I use anytime I make a cake!
Use it well.

Tsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tsquared Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 19

Sorry to barge.

I have some small silpats. I tried to use them for fondant, since I was told that you don't need to use sugar, cornstarch or crisco to keep the fondant from sticking. The fondant stuck - horrible, and my first time using fondant too. What did I do wrong? Or was I told the wrong information?

My silpats FEEL sticky, even though they have been cleaned. They feel just as sticky as the day I received them.

DianeLM Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 19

I always always always use cornstarch when rolling/kneading fondant on a Silpat. Otherwise it will stick! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Sticky-feeling" is the nature of silicone. There's nothing wrong with your mat.

I also use pieces of heavy vinyl to roll fondant out on. Works pretty much the same as the Silpat, except the vinyl has a tendency to slide around the work surface where the Silpat sticks!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 19

They are sticky but like ANY surface you use to play with gum paste flowers, marzipan figures or fondant do-dads you have to use crisco or cornstarch depending on what you want to do. The mats are tacky they are meant to be, BUT DON"T GIVE UP-PLAY AROUND!

Tsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tsquared Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks for answering! Looks like I was misinformed. Maybe one day I will get up the nerve to try fondant again. It's very difficult for me - can't get it thin enough or uniform! I know it takes practice, but it's much harder than I thought.

DianeLM Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

can't get it thin enough or uniform!

Get yourself a pasta machine. I prefer one with a motor, but since you're just starting out, a hand crank model may be a better choice.

It won't roll out your fondant to cover a cake, but will help a lot with accents, flowers, stripes, etc..

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:01pm
post #16 of 19

apparently we need them to transfer chocolate transfer designs to fondant. Just posted that strand a few days ago and the ladies all say silpat, iron, and fondant equals neat designs.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #17 of 19

apparently we need them to transfer chocolate transfer designs to fondant. Just posted that strand a few days ago and the ladies all say silpat, iron, and fondant equals neat designs.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #18 of 19

well, where is that post? I would love to read it! Thanks, Susan

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #19 of 19

justfrosting I think this is the link you are looking for:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6115381-.html#6115381

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%